[News] Science Blogs in Defence of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Science Blogs in Defence of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:59:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cultivating Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| But for your open source software to be
| successful, you need to provide the full source
| code every time you make a release. This
| expectation is built into the GNU General
| Public License, but it is also a key to
| building a successful community. Making the
| source code available to your users allows for
| the cooperative development and rapid code
| improvement that fosters "mind share". Not
| provide the source code - such as making a
| "testing-only release" or a "preview version" -
| means your users will not be able to see how
| your code works. More importantly, your users
| will not be able to help you fix bugs. Without
| a way to contribute, developers tend to lose
| interest in a project, and find something else
| to do.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/collectiveimagination/2009/10/cultivating_open_source_softwa.php

Recent:

On open source vs. disclosed source voting systems

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, the Election Technology Council (a trade association of four
| major American voting system manufacturers) put out a white paper on
| open-source and voting systems. It's nice to see them finally talking about
| the issue, but there's a distinctive cluelessness in this paper about what,
| exactly, open source is and what it means for a system to be secure. For
| example, in a sidebar titled "Disclosed vs. Open: Clarifying Misconceptions",
| the report states:
|
|     ... taking a software product that was once proprietary and disclosing
|     its full source code to the general public will result in a complete
|     forfeiture of the software's security ... Although computer scientists
|     chafe at the thought of "security through obscurity," there remains some
|     underlying truths to the idea that software does maintain a level of
|     security through the lack of available public knowledge of the inner
|     workings of a software program.
|
| Really? No. Disclosing the source code only results in a complete forfeiture
| of the software's security if there was never any security there in the first
| place. If the product is well-engineered, then disclosing the software will
| cause no additional security problems. If the product is poorly-engineered,
| then the lack of disclosure only serves the purpose of delaying the
| inevitable.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/dwallach/open-source-vs-disclosed-source-voting-systems

Editor's Note: Linux Needs Fewer Friends

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-12-31-022-35-OP-DV