[News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses Its AstroTurf Army to Shoot Down MySQL

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses Its AstroTurf Army to Shoot Down MySQL
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:10:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracleâs Safra Catz Meets With EUâs Kroes Over Sun (Update2)

,----[ Quote ]
| The investigation followed lobbying by
| Oracle competitors including SAP AG and
| Microsoft Corp.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=asFp0KK4LvE8

Oracle's Sun acquisition war continues

,----[ Quote ]
| "To make things clear, I have not ever been
| paid anything from Microsoft and I have no
| relationship with them. The Codeplex
| foundation is an independent organization
| from Microsoft; It's true that a lot of the
| people on it are still paid by Microsoft,
| but that is supposed to change soon," wrote
| Widenius.
|
| Monty also expanded upon his support for
| Codeplex, stating
|
| "What is interesting with the Codeplex
| foundation is that if it is, what Microsoft
| claims it is, it will make it easy for
| people employed by Microsoft to actively
| participate with Open Source. This would be
| a great mind set change for Microsoft and as
| an Open Source/Free Software advocate I want
| to be sure that they do it right and there
| is no hidden agenda in the Foundation. The
| reason for me to accept to be on the
| Codeplex Advisory board was that it gives me
| a chance to ensure the above. I also believe
| that the more we get Microsoft employees
| (and actually any company) engaged in Open
| Source, the better it will be for Open
| Source projects in general."
|
| Still, Microsoft can be seen to have a
| massive vested interest in MySQL and whoever
| ultimately owns it.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/1559666/oracle-sun-acquisition-war-continues

The case for independence - Oracle, Sun and what to do with MySQL [updated]

http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/?p=274

Recent:

Oracle, MySQL and the EU: The Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the course of the last week or so,
| conversation around the proposed Oracle
| acquisition of Sun â and thus, MySQL â has reached
| a boiling point, with commentary arriving fast and
| furious. There are plenty of pro and con positions
| on the transaction, and yet I am compelled to
| comment, both because my opinion has been
| requested and because I donât see anyone making
| the case quite as I would.
|
| So, with no further preamble, the Oracle/MYSQL
| Q&A.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2009/10/23/oracle-mysql-and-the-eu-the-qa/

Ingres Joins Universities to Support Students in Open Source

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS104294+22-Oct-2009+BW20091022

EU to Oracle: MySQL is sore point in Sun deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Europe's head of competition has criticized
| Oracle for what she characterised as a lack
| of cooperation over the investigation of
| Oracle's planned acquisition of Sun
| Microsystems, a spokesman for the European
| Commission said.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/it-department/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsid=17230

Stallman correct about Oracle's database business erosion

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/stallman-correct-about-oracles-database-business-erosion-843

Oracle fails to convince MySQL doubters

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has failed to persuade the European
| Commission that it will provide a safe home
| for MySQL.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/22/oracle_eu_warning/

Campaigners object to Oracle buying MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Software freedom activist Richard Stallman
| and the non-profits Knowledge Ecology
| International (KEI) and Open Rights Group
| (ORG) have issued a strongly worded letter
| to EU competition commissioner Neelie
| Kroes. In it they demanded that Oracle not
| be allowed to acquire MySQL.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1559131/campaigners-object-oracle-buying-mysql

A Remarkable Reversal

,----[ Quote ]
| It was a surprise to see Richard Stallman's
| signature on a letter to the European
| Commission calling on them to block the
| acquisition of MySQL by Oracle with its
| proposed acquisition of Sun.
`----

http://www.webmink.net/2009/10/remarkable-reversal.htm

Let the Sun-shine in (Oracle)

,----[ Quote ]
| This is absolutely frivolous, and it
| reflects a misconception of how the forces
| in the Free Software space work. It is not
| that a successful dual licensing enables a
| successful Free Software project, it is a
| successful Free Software project that
| permits to a dual licensing strategy to
| survive.
`----

http://www.piana.eu/it/sun_

Letter to the EC opposing Oracle's acquisition of MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission should block
| Oracle's acquisition of MySQL as part of
| its acquisition of Sun Microsystems.
|
| Oracle seeks to acquire MySQL to prevent
| further erosion of its share of the market
| for database software licenses and
| services, and to protect the high prices
| now charged for its proprietary database
| software licenses and services.
`----

http://keionline.org/ec-mysql

MySQL founder says Oracle should let go of MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Monty Widenius, one of the original
| founders of MySQL, has called for Oracle to
| sell off the open source database so that
| its pending acquisition of Sun will not
| reduce choice in the marketplace.
|
| [...]
|
| Oracle CEO Larry Ellison has firmly
| rejected the prospect of selling off MySQL.
| He argues that the open source database
| doesn't compete with Oracle's enterprise
| products. The two database offerings target
| different sections of the market, he
| contends.
|
| It's unclear if the EU regulators will
| accept his view and allow the deal to move
| forward, but the delays are certainly
| damaging. While the EC is conducting its
| investigation, IBM is cannibalizing Sun's
| server business and picking the bones clean.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/10/mysql-founder-says-oracle-should-let-go-of-mysql.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Richard Stallman joins call for Oracle to divest MySQL

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-management/richard-stallman-joins-call-oracle-divest-mysql-681

Stallman opposes Oracle's takeover of MySQL

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Stallman-opposes-Oracle-s-takeover-of-MySQL-834445.html

MySQL cofounder says Oracle should sell database

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/101909-mysql-cofounder-says-oracle-should.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news