[News] [Rival] Zune HD Disappoints Reviewers, Still

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Zune HD Disappoints Reviewers, Still
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:30:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft lets Zune HD Apps fall through the cracks

,----[ Quote ]
| MS needs to pull their collective heads out and
| get to work here or they will surely lose the
| PMP fight and very quickly.
`----

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13361/microsoft_lets_zune_hd_apps_fall_through_the_cracks/

Zune makes gains but not there yet

,----[ Quote ]
| If you need your media player to function as a
| PDA too, the Zune is not there yet, and youâd
| still be better off with an iPod Touch despite
| the new benefits of the Zune HD.
`----

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/oct/25/zune-makes-gains-but-not-there-yet/

The Zune is good news for Linux. It makes the company which attacks Linux more broke, more rapidly.

Recent:

Microsoft Zune HD: No Reason To Live

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/172033/microsoft_zune_hd_no_reason_to_live.html

Microsoft Zune Still Playing Catch-Up

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172120/microsoft_zune_still_playing_catchup.html

Zune exec bails ahead of player's upcoming HD launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs Zune general marketing manager has quit the firm.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/chris_stephenson_zune_exec_quits/

Microsoft's Zune HD Could Be Too Little, Too Late

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will be hoping to jump-start lackluster entertainment sales
| through Zune HD, among other things. Revenue from the company's entertainment
| and devices unit, which makes Zune and Xbox, fell by 25% in the company's
| fiscal fourth quarter, ending June 30.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200908131645DOWJONESDJONLINE000635_FORTUNE5.htm

Why Canât Microsoft Develop Software for Zune HD?

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line: Microsoft knows thereâs no real money in Zune software and
| doesnât want to invest its resources (the company has plenty of cash) in
| developing low value software. The problem: mobile developers have no
| incentive to leave the iPhone App Store in order to support the Zune HD, and
| consumers have little reason to buy the Zune HD without any software.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/08/15/why-cant-microsoft-develop-software-for-zune-hd/

Will the Zune ever arrive in the UK, or will Microsoft kill it first?

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune sales are badly down in the US, and nothing suggests it's going to
| improve any time soon. What's Microsoft trying to prove with it?
|
| [...]
|
| So do you expect to see the Zune land in the UK before it's taken out the
| back of the Microsoft campus and shot, along with the Spot data wristwatch,
| the Smart Display and those other "good ideas" that weren't?
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/aug/05/zune-death-likely-ipod-share

What's to become of Microsoft's answer to the iPod?

,----[ Quote ]
| To be sure, the Zune provides a tiny, and apparently deteriorating portion of
| Microsoft's business. Revenue for the non-gaming side of Microsoft's
| Entertainment and Devices unit, which includes the Zune, tumbled 42 percent
| to roughly $211 million for the fourth fiscal quarter ended in June â or
| about 2 percent of the software giant's total, according to regulatory
| filings.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_12940980?nclick_check=1

Zune service and Xbox Live offline Tuesday

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/zune-service-offline-tuesday-to-work-on-xbox-features.ars

Time to axe Microsoft's Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| In a season - the Christmas shopping period - when consumer gadgets are
| supposed to fly off retailers' shelves, Microsoft's Zune experienced a
| stunning $100 drop in revenue, a 54 per cent plunge. Even Microsoft was
| surprised.
|
| But once again, Microsoft has insisted it's not going to kill the Zune and
| remains wedded to the pocket-sized albatross around its neck.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/28/axe_the_zune/

Follow your muse, Microsoft--get out of hardware

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10150268-27.html

Related:

Microsoft hit by Zune sales crash

http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=24630&pagtype=allchandate

Microsoftâs Zune: $100 Million Sales Drop Plus Layoffs Equals Questions

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-microsofts-zune-100-million-sales-drop-plus-layoffs-equals-questions/

Microsoft To Exit the Zune Business?

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/25/0230255

Microsoft Zune Revenue Fall More Than 50% In 2Q

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200901261308DOWJONESDJONLINE000463_FORTUNE5.htm

When Will Microsoft Get a Clue?

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dannen/techwatch/when-will-microsoft-get-clue

Yes, It's Time For Microsoft To Kill The Zune (MSFT)

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2009/1/yes-its-time-for-microsoft-to-kill-the-zune-msft

Zune Sales Tumble As Microsoft Tries To Compete With Apple iPod

http://www.newsoxy.com/microsoft/article11610.html

Zune Sales Tumble As Microsoft Tries To Compete With Apple iPod

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales for the Microsoft Zune MP3 player tumbled by 54 percent during the last
| quarter while the Apple iPod grew more than 3 percent in market share. The
| battle of the multimedia players might have met its final match.
|
| Microsoft Corp reported last week that sales on its Zune MP3 player tumbled
| by 54 percent during the last quarter. The Zune rival, Apple Inc's iPod, grew
| more than 3 percent in market share and is seen as the dominate music player.
| While the software giant is cutting divisions that don't have improved sales,
| some analysts wonder if Zune is on the way out.
`----

http://www.newsoxy.com/microsoft/article11610.html

Microsoftâs Zune Slips

,----[ Quote ]
| At its much faster rate of decline, the Zune player looks like itâs headed
| from low to no market share â unless Microsoft jazzes up the product soon.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/01/23/microsofts-zune-slips/

Microsoft hiding from the Zune?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Seattle Post-Intelligencer spots - or, rather, doesn't spot - the Zune in
| Microsoft's new advertising for that uber-social iPhone "competitor."
| According to Zune marketing director Adam Sohn, this is on purpose: "We're
| trying to funnel people from the software side....You don't have to buy the
| device immediately."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10102195-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft (MSFT): Kill The Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zune is another matter. Apple's lead is too large. The Zune is not a
| product which is terribly different from its competition.
|
| Microsoft can simply say it does not want to take a bath on the Zune while it
| is taking a more intelligent risk with Xbox profitability.
|
| Kill the Zune. Save some money.
`----

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/09/microsoft-msf-1.html

Zune Guy Rant Against Microsoft and Zune no Longer Available

,----[ Quote ]
| We didnât want to post MSZuneFanâs âlast videoâ because of the hard language
| but weâre more than happy to report it now has been removed from YouTube.
`----

http://www.pmptoday.com/2008/07/26/zune-guy-rant-against-microsoft-and-zune-no-longer-available/

Zune Guy calls Microsoft 'liars,' says Zune situation is 'f***ing bulls**t'

,----[ Quote ]
| You've probably heard by now that the infamous Zune Guy ("Microsoft Zune")
| was so disappointed with Microsoft that he's elected to have his ink removed
| in place of something more in line with his shifted priorities. In addition
| to the reconstructive work he's going to have, ZG claims that Microsoft
| actually lied to him about his free trip to the Redmond campus, which (as you
| might imagine) further tarnishes his image of the company. Unfortunately,
| according to reps from Microsoft we spoke with, the trip was never
| confirmed -- only discussed -- and ultimately canceled due to the very
| reasonable fear that it might lead a lot of "hyper-engaged users" to expect a
| trip of their own (though they did hook our man up with a free Zune and some
| related swag).
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/26/zune-guy-calls-microsoft-liars-says-zune-situation-is-f-in/
http://tinyurl.com/5qqfjf

Zune absent from Microsoft exec's speech

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune? It appeared on one slide, but Bach never mentioned it.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-9998722-27.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Some may even say this goes to the root of Microsoftâs heritage. How they
| came to achieve the operating system dominance and success by bullying
| smaller businesses or buying them out and marketing their product as their
| own.
|
| The way things are going, one can not help wonder if Microsoft have just run
| out of ideas on expanding their business and decided to jump on the âme-tooâ
| bandwagon.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2008/05/25/the -beginning-to-the-end-for-the-microsoft-zune/

Zuneral this Saturday!

,----[ Quote ]
| We regret to report the sudden, unexpected death of Digital Rights
| Management. Details of the tragedy at present remain unclear, but he was
| rushed to the hospital following a direct collision with an oncoming future
| last week at 10 PM. He was seven years old.
`----

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Efreeculture/blog/2008/05/22/zuneral-this-saturday/

GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
| players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
| customers.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/hardware/10418052.html

- From Vista to Zune: Why Microsoft Canât Sell to Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs marketing of Windows Vista and the Zune have failed in large part
| due to the fact that Microsoft has not learned how to effectively sell
| consumer products. Consumers buy Windows and Office, but thatâs because they
| have no choice, not because of the companyâs marketing savvy. Microsoft only
| effectively markets its products to businesses, which represents a very
| different type of sales relationship.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/05/12/from-vista-to-zune-why-microsoft-cant-sell-to-consumers/

Zune Sales Still In the Toilet

,----[ Quote ]
| Selling a million Zunes across nine months seems particularly conservative
| for a company with Microsoftâs clout, particularly when considering that it
| was selling against the iPod, which got snatched up 40 million times over
| that same period. When Microsoft announced having shipped 1.2 million units
| in early July, Windows Enthusiasts rejoiced that the goal was reached,
| apparently unaware that Microsoftâs definition of âshippingâ means
| transferring product to a retailerâs warehouse.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/05/09/zune-sales-still-in-the-toilet/

Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like to download the latest episodes of âHeroesâ or other NBC shows
| from BitTorrent, maybe you shouldnât buy a Microsoft Zune to watch them on.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/microsoft-may-build-a-copyright-cop-into-every-zune/index.html?ref=technology

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy

,----[ Quote ]
| The japester appears to have used an internal Microsoft website to direct,
| well, just about anyone to this re-reinterpretation of Steve Ballmerâs
| infamous monkeyboy dance. Or is it a re-reinterpetation of Apple's iPod
| advertising campaign? In these mashed-up days, it's hard to tell.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/ballmer_dances/

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/