[News] A Look Ahead at Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04, Other Ubuntu News

  • Subject: [News] A Look Ahead at Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04, Other Ubuntu News
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:37:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What can we expect from 10.04 - Lucid Lynx?

,----[ Quote ]
| Boot speed has been a hot topic for a long
| time now and Ubuntu has come a long way in
| the last few releases. For Ubuntu 10.04 the
| target boot speed is 10 seconds! The
| reference platform for this target is a
| Dell Mini 9 netbook with a slow CPU and
| fast SSD that makes it an excellent "middle
| of the road" machine.  Some people's
| machines will be slower, some will be
| faster.
|
| Thereâs also a plan to improve the speed on
| the installation process. Currently when
| installing packages in Ubuntu the download
| is a separate step from the
| unpack/configure. Ubuntu will be able to
| install package faster by doing downloads
| and installs in parallel. While downloading
| the cpu and disk are mostly idle. While
| installing the network is idle. Doing them
| in parallel is a good way to utilize both
| systems.
`----

http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-can-we-expect-from-1004-lucid-lynx.html

[UPDATED] Initial thoughts on Ubuntu 9.10 beta

,----[ Quote ]
| One the whole there are some nice benefits
| to the upgrade, as long as you donât depend
| on the features I mentioned above. As I
| finally finish this post we have a mere
| four days before Ubuntu 9.10 âKarmic Koalaâ
| is released, now may be a great time to
| snag the ISO for the Release Candidate and
| try it out on your own system.
`----

http://nancib.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/initial-thoughts-on-ubuntu-9-10-beta/

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 165

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter,
| Issue #165 for the week October 18th -
| October 24th, 2009. In this issue we cover:
| Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.10 now
| available, October 21st America's
| Membership Board Meeting, Ubuntu IRC
| Council Elections, Keeping Ubuntu CD's
| Available, LoCo News, Launchpad: The next
| six months, Meet Matthew Revell, Launchpad
| offline 4:00UTC - 4:30UTC October 26th, The
| Planet, TurnKey: 40 Ubuntu-based virtual
| appliances released into the cloud, and
| much, much more!
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue165

Recent:

Gnome 3.0 Reviews â Coming on Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 13

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnome 3, which will be available to install
| in Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 13 will mark the
| first radical change to the Gnome Desktop
| since itâs inception, thanks to itâs ânewâ
| interface âGnome-Shellâ.
`----

http://icewalkerz.blogspot.com/2009/10/gnome-30-reviews-coming-on-ubuntu-1004.html

buntu 10.04 LTS Release Schedule

,----[ Quote ]
| December 3rd, 2009 - Alpha 1 release;
| January 7th, 2010 - Alpha 2 release;
| February 4th, 2010 - Alpha 3 release;
| March 4th, 2010 - Beta 1 release;
| April 1st, 2010 - Beta 2 release;
| April 15th, 2010 - Release Candidate;
| April 29th, 2010 - Final release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-Release-Schedule-122658.shtml

Ubuntu Server Edition 10.04 Lucid Lynx: Canonicalâs ISV Priorities

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/09/21/ubuntu-server-edition-1004-lucid-lynx-canonicals-isv-priorities/