[News] The Many Meanings of the Word "Open" Parallel Ambiguity of Free (Libre)

  • Subject: [News] The Many Meanings of the Word "Open" Parallel Ambiguity of Free (Libre)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:11:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open vs. open vs. open: a model for public collaboration

,----[ Quote ]
| People and organizations who want to truly âgo
| openâ need to see this as a journey, one which
| will require that they change their methods of
| communication and decision-making, not just how
| their content is published. The extent to which
| they are able to fully embrace the open
| paradigm will determine the potential benefits
| to the project.
`----

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/10/26/open-vs-open-vs-open-a-model-for-public-collaboration/

Recent:

What âOpenâ means to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Recent statements on âOpenâ give an interesting insight into Microsoft
| constancy.
|
| In a recent Computerworld UK blog entry, Glyn Moody takes Microsoftâs Jason
| Matusox to task for conflating âbalanceâ with âopenâ. I wonât re-hash the
| points Mr. Moody makes so read his article too!
|
| Basically, Mr. Matusox laments how Open standards are âoverbalancedâ in favor
| of standard implementors, and someone is insisting that standards must
| have âno IP restrictionsâ.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/08/what-open-means-to-microsoft/

Related: