[News] Cost Savings in Free Software Get Defended

  • Subject: [News] Cost Savings in Free Software Get Defended
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:31:43 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CIO Jury returns the wrong verdict on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The first mistake the jury has made is blame
| any migration costs on the software you're
| moving to, not from. While any software
| migration will use up resources, this is as
| true of moving from one version of a
| proprietary package to another, as it is of
| moving from proprietary to open source. In
| bringing this argument up, the jury is
| admitting they've been caught by the
| proprietary software trap â exit costs.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014300o-2000331765b,00.htm

With Open Source ETL, Talend Is a Fashionable Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Better business decisions are in the
| forecast for Fashion Institute of Design and
| Merchandising, a Southern California college
| that recently implemented the Smart i
| Appliance, which is based on IBM's DB2 Web
| Query. A key element of the System i-based
| business intelligence solution is Talend's
| Integration Suite, an extract, transform,
| and load (ETL) tool that was updated last
| week to include change data capture for
| DB2/400, among other new features.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs102709-story06.html

ACC to GCs: Eliminate Software Costs

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Donald, associate general counsel of
| Baltimore-based Vertis Communications,
| offered attendees a variety of ideas for
| leveraging open-source technology to
| streamline operations and eliminate
| unnecessary expenses.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202434943463&pos=ataglance

Pramari Launches Free Open-Source RFID Middleware

,----[ Quote ]
| RFID software company Pramari has released
| an open-source middleware platform, the
| Rifidi Edge Server, that is free to download
| and use.
`----

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleview/5328

Recent:

IT, a key business enabler in the downturn

,----[ Quote ]
| As a pioneer in the development and use of Free and Open Source Software
| (FOSS), we are a strong contributor to the Open Source movement, and have
| been utilising Open Source widely to provide our clients with more optimal
| solutions.
|
| We have a proven track record in contributing to the Open Source R&D,
| including significant contributions to projects such as Apache Web Services,
| OpenBRR, and Sahana Disaster Management project. Our support to projects such
| as Sahana has been part of our sustainability initiatives, which focus on
| making an impact in humanitarian and educational areas thereby helping to
| create a more digitally-inclusive society.
|
| Internally, we have developed solutions based on Open Source software
| including a custom-built software configuration management solution. We were
| able to save significant costs on licensing fee and acquisition costs, by
| adopting the Open Source software for developing the solution.
`----

http://beta.thehindu.com/business/Industry/article8841.ece

Open source: More than just a cheap date

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not surprising that enterprise IT would be looking to lighten its
| software cost burden. Proprietary software vendors derive an ever-growing
| chunk of their revenue from software maintenance fees, a "boondoggle" for
| vendors, according to CMS Watch, which fattens vendor coffers while providing
| minimal value to customers.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10319222-16.html

Open source software might be cheaper than alternatives, but it has many other
business benefits, too.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/614233/10-reasons-to-use-open-source-in-business