[News] Debian GNU/Linux Installed on 15W PC

Building a 15W Debian GNU/Linux system

,----[ Quote ]
| After all I'm satisfied with the system.
| Without any fan the CPU constantly runs at
| 55ÂC, which is okay, given that it must operate
| within 0 and 90 ÂC according to the tech specs.
| The system and the disk are somewhat lower (47
| and 39ÂC). The power of this system is more
| then enough. Its booting quick and working with
| it works without latencies, even when the
| system is doing something. What I haven't yet
| tested is weither the power consumption
| actually fulfills the expactations. I will do
| so, once I got a wattmeter.
`----

http://justimho.blogspot.com/2009/10/building-15w-debian-gnulinux-system.html

Recent:

Shuttle XS29f: Linux Looks Great in Green

,----[ Quote ]
| Power and space saving computers are in, and Shuttle has a winner with the
| XS29F. This little gem really skimps on the power consumption to the tune of
| around 20-25 watts on average. That's less than half of that 60-watt light
| bulb shining down on you right now. For the Do It Yourselfer (DIYer) on a
| budget this box makes a lot of sense.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6783/1/

Die-shrunk x86 SoC draws 2 Watts at 1GHz

,----[ Quote ]
| DMP Electronics announced a 32-bit x86-compatible SoC (system on chip)
| claimed to run Linux using under two Watts. The Vortex86DX targets home
| gateways, thin clients, and industrial controllers, and offers an "embedded
| redundancy" feature that can link two boards, says DMP.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3441675696.html?kc=rss

The BeagleBoard: $149 Linux System

,----[ Quote ]
| The beagleboard is low cost fanless development board with Linux support. And
| it is low cost, you can get one for $149 from digikey. And it is low power,
| it uses less than 2 Watts and can run via USB power (although it does have a
| secondary power input).
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/beagleboard-149-linux-system

Related:

Fit PC runs Linux and draws only 5W of power

,----[ Quote ]
| There are power efficient computers and then there are power efficient
| computers.  Enter the Fit PC, a small, self-contained, fanless computer that
| draws 3W to 5W when it is on.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2007/10/15/fit-pc-runs-linux-and-draws-only-5w-of-power/

Linux vs. Windows Power Usage

,----[ Quote ]
| For these tests we hadn't used the Lenovo ThinkPad R52 notebook again, but
| had turned to an older hardware configuration.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=880&num=1

Windows, Linux vie for honours

,----[ Quote ]
| Projects include the "tickles kernel" which enables the processor to sleep
| between tasks and better power management to USB peripherals.
|
| [...]
|
| That lightness had also allowed Linux to become a strong player in the
| embedded market, where energy efficiency was critical to success, Mr King
| said.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22393733-5013045,00.html

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3