[News] United States Government (DoD) Writes Memo in Favour of Free Software - Details

  • Subject: [News] United States Government (DoD) Writes Memo in Favour of Free Software - Details
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:08:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Finally! SecDef signs Clarifying Guidance Regarding Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| It is official! As of the 16th of October 2009,
| the United States Department of Defense
| recognizes Open Source software at Commodity,
| Off the Shelf (COTS) software, eligible for
| purchase, read implementation, under the
| purchasing rules of the Department.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/finally-secdef-signs-clarifying-guidance-regarding-open-source-software

New DoD memo on Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) has just
| released Clarifying Guidance Regarding Open
| Source Software (OSS), a new official memo
| about open source software (OSS). This 2009
| memo should soon be posted on the list of
| ASD(NII)/DoD CIO memorandums. This 2009 memo
| is important for anyone who works with the
| DoD (including contractors) on software and
| systems that include software... and I
| suspect it will influence many other
| organizations as well. Let me explain why
| this new memo exists, and what it says.
`----

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2009/10/27/#dod-oss-2009

Recent:

DISA promotes open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) is releasing an open-source
| code named the Open Source Corporate Management System (OSCMIS) as part of
| its move to support open-source software across the federal government.
`----

http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/disa-promotes-open-source/2009-08-19

Info-sharing tops DOD's tech wish list

,----[ Quote ]
| Forge.mil, a family of services for developing open-source solution for the
| DOD, is example of the enterprisewide, on-demand services DISA wants to
| continue to develop, Mihelcic said.
`----

http://www.washingtontechnology.com/Articles/2009/08/10/DISA-industry-forecast.aspx

Ideas sought for open government