[News] Free Software Grows Rapidly in Public Sector Outside English-speaking Countries

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Grows Rapidly in Public Sector Outside English-speaking Countries
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:40:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

F/OSS and the Public Sector

,----[ Quote ]
| So, increasingly I find myself, like many
| others, asking why it is that in general the
| public sector appears to be so far behind
| the curve when it comes to F/OSS adoption.
| We do hear that there is a faster uptake in
| places such as Brazil and where budgets are
| likely to be more limited than in, say, the
| UK or the USA. France's national police
| force has reportedly saved 50 million euros
| since 2004 through adoption of F/OSS and
| migrating a portion of its workstations to
| Ubuntu. Back in February the UK Government
| issued a document titled Open Source, Open
| Standards and Re-Use: Government Action
| Plan, in which it was reported that over the
| previous five years "government departments
| have shown that Open Source can be best for
| the taxpayer", and suggested that "we need
| to increase the pace". However, the overall
| picture with regards public sector F/OSS
| adoption, both here in the UK and elsewhere,
| remains seriously disappointing.
| Furthermore, we are still hearing reports
| that some government agencies are violating
| their own procurement policies by mandating
| vendor-specific technologies in their
| invitations to tender. Where instead they
| ought to be simply defining requirements -
| not solutions - and thus creating a more
| fair, diverse and competitive market, and
| one that has the potential to lead to better
| value for the taxpayer coupled with
| increased innovation.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/content/foss-and-public-sector

King County Library System Awarded Prestigious National Leadership Grant From the Institute of Museu

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our project, Empowered by Open Source, will
| enable libraries to collaborate and more
| effectively influence the evolution of their
| information systems so that the systems can
| be molded to fit the services that libraries
| and patrons want, rather than services
| having to be designed to fit what the
| systems allow."
`----

http://pr-au.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93787&Itemid=34

Recent:

96% of French Public Sector Using Open Source Says New Service

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/29338