[News] Free Software (Code) to Come from the White House

  • Subject: [News] Free Software (Code) to Come from the White House
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:53:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Should the White House Contribute to the Open Source Community?

,----[ Quote ]
| While this measure may not be an immediate
| cost-saver (5 different companies are
| involved in re-building and maintaining the
| White House web site), long-term costs
| should fall as government agencies are able
| to borrow from the greater Drupal community
| while incrementally improving on the
| websites code. But the question remains,
| will the Obama White House share some of the
| contributions itâs making to open source?
`----

http://appfrica.net/blog/2009/10/28/should-the-white-house-contribute-to-the-open-source-community/

Whitehouse.gov could be a springboard for Open Source for America

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many of you, I awoke Monday to read
| that whitehouse.gov was now running on open
| source products, including Drupal, Red Hat
| Linux, Apache web server, MySQL, and Apache
| Solr.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whitehousegov-could-be-springboard-open-source-america-726

White House web site goes open source

http://ibtimes.com.au/articles/20091029/white-house-web-site-goes-open-source.htm

White House opens Web site programming to public

,----[ Quote ]
| White House officials described the change
| as similar to rebuilding the foundation of a
| building without changing the street-level
| appearance of the facade. It was expected to
| make the White House site more secure â and
| the same could be true for other
| administration sites in the future.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iuRIVBTLUvW7823FC-fcfhvkSxHgD9BHLF180

Uncle Samâs open source fair shake makes it official

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/10/28/uncle-sams-open-source-fair-shake-makes-it-official/

Recent:

White House goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The www.whitehouse.gov site was previously
| served by Microsoft IIS 6.0, but the new
| server software identifies itself as "White
| House". The new site continues to use
| Akamai's content delivery network for caching.
`----

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2009/10/27/white_house_goes_open_source.html

OSI and White House agree on open source benefits, platforms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/484