[News] Intellectual Monopolies Abuse, Fight Against Public Domain

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Abuse, Fight Against Public Domain
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:02:56 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GateHouse Media Strikes Again: Claims Headlines, Ledes Are Covered
By Copyright, Threatens Forum

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember GateHouse Media? The regional news
| company sued the NY Times for linking to it,
| claiming it was copyright infringement to
| include the headline and a brief snippet
| along with the link (you know, like
| Google...). Amusingly, it turned out that
| GateHouse Media was doing the same thing.
| Eventually the two companies settled, and
| apparently that's convinced GateHouse Media
| that complaining about such links is a good
| idea.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091028/1834176710.shtml

Rumblefish and the Public Domain

,----[ Quote ]
| The Public Domain is supposed to be a safe
| place for artists to get content without
| fear of copyright infringement.
|
| This permits Rumblefish advertising rights
| and control over public domain and the
| content of independent artists.
| (We are the only ones we know of - but we
| are sure that we are not the only ones)
|
| This is a violation of our rights as
| artists.
`----

http://cybertrips.blogspot.com/2009/10/rumblefish-and-public-domain.html

New AC/DC Box Set Packs Rarities Into Functioning Guitar Amp

,----[ Quote ]
| AC/DCâs new $200 box set packs musical
| rarities and memorabilia inside a functional
| 1-watt guitar amplifier.
|
| The AC/DC Backtracks packaging, pictured, is
| unique and fully operational. And whatâs
| inside is impressive as well: The limited-
| edition box set includes a stunning variety
| of media and collectibles.
`----

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/10/acdc-amplifier-box-set/

Recent:

Federal court using scare tactics to block sharing of public records

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2009/08/federal-court-using-scare-tactics-to-block-sharing-of-public-records.html