[News] Big Wins for Free Software as of Late, Maddog Reflects

  • Subject: [News] Big Wins for Free Software as of Late, Maddog Reflects
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:39:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FOSS Goes to Washington, and Nvidia Keeps Its Driver Code to Itself

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/FOSS-Goes-to-Washington-and-Nvidia-Keeps-Its-Driver-Code-to-Itself-68502.html

Some nice things happened on the way through life.....

,----[ Quote ]
| He reminded me that I had taken him to visit
| my two goddaughters, and as we sat on the
| floor playing with them, their father, Linus
| Torvalds, came into the room and talked with
| us a bit. Afterwards we left the house and
| he said that I was "never to do that to him
| again". "Do what?", I asked, "I told you I
| was going to see my god-daughters...."
|
| I had "forgotten" about these times, but of
| course I remembered them when he told me. I
| am glad when I can influence someone's life
| in a positive way.
|
| When I met Mark Spencer, the creator of the
| Asterisk project, he told me that a talk I
| gave at a conference in 1999 convinced him
| to make the project Free and Open Source. It
| is revelations like this that keep me going.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Some-nice-things-happened-on-the-way-through-life

Recent:

I never won a Nobel Peace Prize.

,----[ Quote ]
| I woke up on the morning of October 9th to
| find that President Obama had won the Nobel
| Peace Prize.
|
| There was a lot of discussion about whether
| President Obama had "earned" the honor or
| not, and a lot of discussion about how the
| Nobel Peace Prize is not always for what
| you have done, but encouraging you to keep
| going in what you are doing.
|
| As I read his acceptance speech, I thought
| about Free and Open Source Software, and
| applied parts of his speech to my favorite
| subject.
|
| "Let me be clear, I do not view it as a
| recognition of my own accomplishments"
|
| A lot of people have said to me, "Thank you
| for what you do for Free Software". I tell
| them that I was someone who was in a
| particular place at a particular time. I
| did what I thought needed doing, and what I
| had skills to do.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/I-never-won-a-Nobel-Peace-Prize

This takes the cake (and make mine chocolate!)

,----[ Quote ]
| I heard recently, and could not really believe it until
| I saw it, that Microsoft was encouraging people to throw
| "Tupperware(R) parties" at their homes in order to
| launch the new version of Microsoft's products.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux can't do that, since anyone that anxious to get a
| fresh distribution of Linux just pulls it down off the
| Internet. This also allows the Linux user to get their
| beauty sleep instead of standing in line outside some
| store for hours.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/This-takes-the-cake-and-make-mine-chocolate!?blogbox

Winners of maddogs Colombian Multimedia Challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that the contestants learned about the use of Free Software
| multimedia tools, Creative Commons and understand media licensing more, made
| the effort of putting on the Challenge worthwhile.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/Winners-of-maddogs-Colombian-Multimedia-Challenge

What a long, strange trip it has been...and continues to be

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/blogs/paw_prints_writings_of_the_maddog/what_a_long_strange_trip_it_has_been_and_continues_to_be?blogbox

Paw Prints: Writings of the maddog

,----[ Quote ]
| I was working for Digital Equipment Corporation when I first met Linus and
| facilitated the port of Linux onto the Alpha processor.
|
| During the port, a member of the community contacted me and asked if Digital
| would contribute their math library to the Linux project, since Digital's
| math library was a great deal faster than the one currently in use on the
| Alpha Linux port. I easily got Digital to contribute the Digital Unix math
| library in binary form, but they refused to make the library "open source"
| because of the investment that they had put into it.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/blogs/paw_prints_writings_of_the_maddog/diy?blogbox

When Linux fails

,----[ Quote ]
| Jon âMaddogâ Hallâs keynote talk at the Ontario Linux Fest also made this
| point in a very powerful way. Jon is a wonderfully entertaining speaker, and
| not afraid of controversy. Showing a picture of a child in the African bush
| holding a âOne Laptop per Childâ laptop he said, âI donât care about this
| kid.â The audience drew a shocked breath. âHeâs screwed,â continued
| Jon. âFive hundred miles of bush behind him, five hundred miles of bush in
| front of him. Thereâs nothing I can do to help hereâ. Jon flipped the slide
| to show a Brazilian âfavelaâ, or slum city, with an incredibly dense
| population, seeming to cling to the side of a nearby hill. He said, âThis is
| where I can help. These kids have electricity. They can get a network
| connection. I can do something with Open Source and Free Software hereâ.
|
| Jon isnât a callous person. Heâs just decided to focus his resources on
| somewhere he knows he can help today. Itâs hard to find fault with him for
| that.
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/287

Show me the Code

,----[ Quote ]
| I was probably always subtly aware of the abilities of some free software
| programmers, so I should not continue to be amazed by what they can do. But I
| must admit they do continue to astonish me.

`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/w3/issue/96/Doghouse_Open_Einstein.pdf

Open Source Software and Africa

,----[ Quote ]