[News] New Releases of GNU/Linux Come in Massive Numbers (Roundup)

  • Subject: [News] New Releases of GNU/Linux Come in Massive Numbers (Roundup)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:23:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10 ships -- and we round up other new distros

,----[ Quote ]
| The following briefly summarizes in reverse
| chronological order some of the key Linux
| distribution announcements over the last two
| months...
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Ubuntu-910/?kc=rss

2009.10 release: 40 new appliances + Amazon EC2

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm proud to announce the 2009.10 release
| batch featuring:
|
|     * 25 new additions to the TurnKey Linux
|     virtual appliance library
|     * added native virtual appliance
|     packaging (OVF support included)
|     * Amazon EC2 support, with EBS
|     persistence
|     * Core improvements: Ajax web shell,
|     upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04.3
|
| The project recently celebrated its one year
| birthday. Since our last major release in
| March the project picked up steam with
| weekly downloads increasing over 500% (we
| just flew past 60,000 downloads). Not bad
| for a new server oriented project. With all
| the goodies in this new release, and all the
| stuff we're working on for the next release,
| TurnKey Linux's second year should be even
| more interesting.
`----

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/news/200910-release-40-new-appliances-amazon-ec2

Berry 0.99

http://berry.sourceforge.jp/

PCLinuxOS 2009.4 (Phoenix)

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Toorox 10.2009

http://toorox.de/

Baltix GNU/Linux 4.2

http://baltix.akl.lt/

Clonezilla 1.2.3-7

http://www.clonezilla.org/

ALT Linux releases Platform Five products

,----[ Quote ]
| ALT Linux announces public availability of
| two products based on Platform Five: ALT
| Linux 5.0 Ark, a suite designed for making
| integrated solutions, and ALT Linux 5.0
| School, a suite that is targetted at
| secondary and high schools.
`----

http://www.altlinux.com/en/news/archive/2009/10/item/558/

[openwall-announce] fresh Owl ISOs; Linux 2.4.37.6-ow1; Packetfactory mirror

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Fresh ISO images of Owl-current for x86
| and x86-64 (generated on October 25) are
| available on our FTP mirrors.  There are
| also direct download links on the Owl
| homepage:
|
| http://www.openwall.com/Owl/
|
| These ISOs use Linux 2.4.37.6-ow1 as the
| kernel, and, compared to last month's ISO
| snapshots, they contain updated versions of
| many packages (vsftpd, iptables, passwdqc,
| cpio, e2fsprogs, strace, VIM, and xinetd),
| as well as minor changes to some other
| packages.
`----

http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2009/10/26/1

New version of Owl security-enhanced operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Openwall GNU/*/Linux (or Owl for short) is a
| free security-enhanced operating system with
| Linux and GNU software as its core,
| compatible with other major distributions of
| GNU/*/Linux. It is intended as a server
| platform.
`----

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=8427

Recent:

Linux and plethorization

,----[ Quote ]
| For the many years I've been writing about Linux, it has always
| amazed me that no distro ever wins, in the sense that it
| vanquishes many opponents in the marketplace. Instead success
| breeds other successes through forks, variants and derivations
| by other labels.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-and-plethorization

Distribution Variation

,----[ Quote ]
| I could use one variant that let
| me choose my desktop environment and applications during
| install time. The installer could use either a network
| repository, or on disc repository depending on the ISO file.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/09/distribution-variation.html

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html