[News] Harvard University Looks at Vista 7 and Considers More of GNU/Linux Instead

  • Subject: [News] Harvard University Looks at Vista 7 and Considers More of GNU/Linux Instead
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:31:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FAS IT Testing Out New Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| He added that he would not recommend that
| Harvard switch its computers over
| immediately because it uses so many clients.
| Uchiyama also mentioned that Ubuntu, a
| competing operating system, is due to
| release a new version today, which gives FAS
| IT another option. Harvard currently uses
| Ubuntu on several Science Center computers.
`----

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=529808

Unconvinced by Windows 7? Ubuntu 9.10 debuted today!

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to the new desktop interface, a
| Karmic Koala Netbook Remix and Server
| Edition (featuring Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud)
| were also released today.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Unconvinced-by-Windows-7-Ubuntu-910-debuted-today/1256851025

Ubuntu 9.10 = easiest, cheapest upgrade ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Having run the upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10
| beta, Iâm not too worried about any snags.
| Weâll see how my freshly configured Joomla!
| install holds up after the upgrade, but
| since I was already using the most up-to-
| date versions of MySQL, Apache, and PHP,
| there shouldnât be any issues there, either.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3303

Recent:

Harvard using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently learned about the fact that the Berkman Center for Internet and
| Society is using Drupal.
`----

http://buytaert.net/harvard-using-drupal-2

Harvard Law faculty votes for 'open access' to scholarly articles

,----[ Quote ]
| In a move that will disseminate faculty research and scholarship as broadly
| as possible, the Harvard Law School faculty unanimously voted last week to
| make each faculty memberâs scholarly articles available online for free,
| making HLS the first law school to commit to open access.
`----

http://www.law.harvard.edu/news/2008/05/07_openaccess.php

Mini Review: Open Source in Harvard Business Review

,----[ Quote ]
| As the CEO's quest continues, she begins to worry that in many people's eyes
| her company is seen as the overly powerful corporate enemy with an iron grip
| on its IP. Then she worries about how her developers will react. She fears
| that they desert her if she opens up all of their code to the community. At
| the same time, these same developers are ragged from trying to get out the
| next release. But then again, she wonders if perhaps the open-source model
| would make their lives easier? One fault in the article is that she never has
| a conversation with her developers to ask their opinion. The discussions are
| always among the executives. (How typical is that!). The story closes with
| KMS' executives finding a YouTube video of a bunch of people playing a tune
| on competing devices much more sophisticated and cooler than those from KMS.
| The article suggests that they are open-source competitors that have not only
| copied the idea of the original KMS devices but have improved them in ways
| the firm never even contemplated, leaving the executives a bit stunned.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/mini-review-open-source-emharvard-business-reviewem

Related:

Harvard to collect, disseminate scholarly articles for faculty

,----[ Quote ]
| In a move to disseminate faculty research and scholarship more broadly, the
| Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) voted Tuesday (Feb. 12) to give the
| University a worldwide license to make each faculty memberâs scholarly
| articles available and to exercise the copyright in the articles, provided
| that the articles are not sold for a profit.
`----

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2008/02.14/99-fasvote.html

Harvard Research to Be Free Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Harvard University will soon begin posting research and articles produced by
| its faculty on the Internet free of charge.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/14/books/14arts-HARVARDRESEA_BRF.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Protect Harvard from the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| One can easily understand why the RIAA wants help from
| universities in facilitating its enforcement actions against
| students who download copyrighted music without paying for it.
| It is easier to litigate against change than to change with it.
| If the RIAA saw a better way to protect its existing business,
| it would not be threatening our students, forcing our librarians
| and administrators to be copyright police, and flooding our
| courts with lawsuits against relatively defenseless families
| without lawyers or ready means to pay. We can even understand
| the attraction of using lawsuits to shore up an aging business
| model rather than engaging with disruptive technologies and the
| risks that new business models entail.
`----

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=518638

Harvard's Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences Implements
Largest IBM Blue Gene Supercomputer in U.S. Academia

,----[ Quote ]
| The system would currently rank among the top 50 fastest
| supercomputers in the world, according to the latest
| statistics gathered from the TOP500 Supercomputer Sites list.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061019/0174738.html

Harvard starts teaching open source

,----[ Quote ]