[News] Proprietary Software's Business Future Seems Gloomy, Free Software Offers More

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software's Business Future Seems Gloomy, Free Software Offers More
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:33:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What Does Half of the Fortune 100 do when their Proprietary Software Dies?

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I saw a note that once high flier
| KANA was being sold for $49 million in
| cash to a private equity firm. Not because
| they have any real assets but because they
| have a $400 million operating loss. The
| company is essentially a publicly traded
| shell that might be used to roll a
| profitable or growing company who wants to
| go public into. This has many advantages I
| suppose for the shareholders of the new
| company but what about the customers?
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2009/10/30/what-does-half-of-the-fortune-100-do-when-their-proprietary-software-dies/

Open source: Big value, not big money

,----[ Quote ]
| Like the soccer economy, the open-source
| software economy is best measured by the
| total value it creates, which will have
| very little to do with the direct sales
| the Red Hats of the world report. Open
| source saves enterprises billions of
| dollars in license fees, and arguably has
| the potential to collectively add
| trillions of dollars in productivity
| gains.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10387512-16.html

Recent:

Takin' Care of Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people have never heard of the Linux
| operating system. Linux is a free operating
| system that is a perfect fit for laptop and
| desktop computers. Linux's popularity has
| increased with the spread of Netbooks and
| several Netbook manufacturers ship their
| machines with Linux as the default operating
| system. The attractive price and availability
| of Linux has been bringing a lot of attention
| to this alternative operating system.
|
| I use Linux on my personal Netbook computer. I
| bought the Netbook about two years ago for
| $249. My Netbook is very small, extremely
| portable, and provides all the computing power
| I need when I am on the road. Linux is the
| perfect fit because it is a âsmallâ operating
| system that uses very little memory and other
| machine resources. My Netbook is small enough
| that I use an old hard drive carrying case to
| hold the Netbook when I travel and find this
| much more portable than my bulky old laptop
| case.
`----

http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20091022/NEWS13/910220311

Ubuntu Linux is Prime Time for your Business Desktop and
Notebook Computing Environment

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bigsurpowerdown.org/2009/10/25/ubuntu-linux-is-prime-time-for-your-business-desktop-and-notebook-computing-environment/