[News] Software Patents May be Abolished in the US Soon

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents May be Abolished in the US Soon
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 13:59:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

U.S. Supreme Court set to hear Bilski v. Kappos

,----[ Quote ]
| The United States Supreme Court will hear
| a patent case on Nov. 9 that has
| implications for both method and software
| patents, and it has gained widespread
| attention from industry groups, professors
| and businesses looking to influence the
| high courtâs thinking.
|
| But at least one lawyer expects that the
| decision made in this case will not fix
| anything at the United States Patent and
| Trademark Office (USPTO).
`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/content/article.aspx?ArticleID=33871

Correcting Microsoft's Bilski Amicus Brief -- How Do Computers Really Work?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have noticed something about PDF the
| amicus brief from Microsoft, Philips and
| Symantec submitted to the US SUpreme Court
| in the In re Bilski case. This amicus
| brief relies on a particular
| interpretation of the history of computing
| and on its own description of the inner
| workings of a computer to argue that
| software should be patentable subject
| matter. I argue that both the history and
| the description of the actual working of a
| computer is inaccurate.

Fresh air at WIPO, but old habits die hard

,----[ Quote ]
| The result of all this was that despite excellent high-level speakers from
| international organisations, the conference ended up mainly representing the
| positions of those who have long been in control at WIPO: Governments of the
| US, the EU and Japan, along with large industrial rightsholders. There were
| hardly any industry stakeholders from developing countries, and no public
| interest NGOs represented among the speakers.
|
| By not including the broader picture, WIPO has missed out on the best
| opportunity in years to demonstrate that it wants to play a productive role
| in helping humanity to manage its knowledge wisely. There clearly are good
| intentions in the organisation. Now WIPO only needs to act on them.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/?p=241

D Ravi Kanth: A Trips-plus agenda at WIPO

,----[ Quote ]
| Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat itâ is a timely
| reminder for key actors who are bent on pushing failed agendas. As
| governments and multilateral institutions struggle to recover from a
| pervasive crisis of confidence stemming from the current political and
| economic climate, it is important to not make the same mistakes all over
| again. But the tendency is to cock a snook at such warnings.
|
| [...]
|
| Internally, the abrupt removal of Ram Kishan Singh, a junior official, who
| worked for nine years in the organisation with an outstanding record and the
| proposed reforms in the staffing pattern raise serious questions whether
| developing country officials are specific targets in the onward march of a
| renewed western IP agenda at WIPO!
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/d-ravi-kanthtrips-plus-agenda-at-wipo/364449/

Chasing the WIPO representative