[News] Skype Could Appease Free Software Needs, on GNU/Linux Only

  • Subject: [News] Skype Could Appease Free Software Needs, on GNU/Linux Only
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 07:50:25 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Skype To Provide Open-Source Linux Client

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a new blog post on Skype.com entitled
| Skype open source. It's officially confirmed
| that "an open source version of [the] Linux
| client [is] being developed." This open-source
| client is part of some larger offering that
| supposedly will be coming down the pipe at
| Skype. These efforts will also help them get
| Skype adopted within Linux distributions and
| seeing Skype on other new platforms.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY2Mw

Recent:

Skype shutdown: where are free software and free protocols?

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software is definitely going strong in some areas, especially in the
| server market. However, there are other areas where free software and free
| protocols have failed. Internet based voice and video communication is one of
| those areas. The market is basically fully owned by Skype, a piece of
| proprietary software based on a proprietary (and abusive) protocol in the
| hands the same company that runs eBay. Free software advocates have been
| saying âwhat if Skype was discontinued?â for years. Then I read about eBay
| considering shutting Skype down. Pardon?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/skype_shutdown_where_are_free_software_and_free_protocols

Why eBay Should Open-Source Skype

,----[ Quote ]