[News] Linux/Free Software Managing to Sell at Less Than Free (Android)

  • Subject: [News] Linux/Free Software Managing to Sell at Less Than Free (Android)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:27:57 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Less Than Free Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| âThatâs right; Google will pay you to use
| their mobile OS. I like to call this the
| âless than freeâ business model. This is a
| remarkable card to play. Because of its
| dominance in search, Google has ad rates
| that blow away the competition. To compete
| at an equally âless than freeâ price point,
| Symbian or Windows Mobile would need to
| subsidize. Double ouch!!
`----

http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2009/11/the-less-than-free-business-model/

The Androids are coming ... another Twitter?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Androids are coming, and you'll need to
| watch out for them. I saw one on Wednesday,
| and it was lime green, with antennas and a
| kind of stocky build.
|
| Actually, it was the logo for the Android
| open-source operating systems for mobile
| phones.
|
| Android is going to become a household word
| in a very short period of time. It'll join
| other newcomer phrases like Twitter and
| Facebook in our daily conversations.
`----

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20091030/COL0101/910300340/1300/BIZ

Droid by Motorola mobile phone

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a fantastic phone, but would we
| personally choose it over the Hero? Not, if
| the Hero, as suggested by HTC, will be
| getting Android 2.0
`----

http://m.pocket-lint.com/reviews/review_summary.phtml/4426

Android Army Pumped for All-Out Attack on iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| How could Google draft more customers into
| the Android army and diminish the iPhoneâs
| market share? Focus on the iPhoneâs
| weaknesses, of course. The iPhoneâs lack of
| background-processing capability (i.e., the
| ability to run multiple third-party apps at
| once) could push multitasking professionals
| toward Android. And the notoriety of
| iPhoneâs exclusive carrier in the United
| States, AT&T, could compel consumers to
| embrace Android phones carried by Verizon,
| which has a bigger network and a better
| reputation for service.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/phones/

Freescale aims Android at embedded kit

,----[ Quote ]
| Freescale Semiconductor has begun taking
| orders for a Power Architecture development
| platform for Android-based products,
| opening a new category of embedded devices
| to Google's open-source mobile operating
| system.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62058988,00.htm

Recent:

Android expansion continues with new dual-screen ebook reader

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea behind the two screens is the option
| to include links within the e-ink book (or
| magazine, or newspaper or whatever electronic
| literature you're reading) which can then be
| opened in the wi-fi and 3G connected lower
| screen.
`----

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Android/news.asp?c=16281

Droid release date Droid commercial Droid Motorola Verizon Droid

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.khabrein.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27874&Itemid=62