[News] Artists Defend New Business Model for Arts

  • Subject: [News] Artists Defend New Business Model for Arts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:31:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

In Defense Of 1,000 True Fans - Part II - Matthew Ebel

,----[ Quote ]
| What I find most striking about this
| interview is the fact that Matthew makes
| 26.3% of his net income from just 40 hard-
| core fans.
|
| Imagine what it will be like for him when
| he gets to 1,000?  The other thing that
| really stood out for me is the fact that an
| artist like Matthew (who is totally
| comfortable with Social Media and extremely
| Internet savvy) has very little idea what
| to do with analytics that he is gathering
| via Google Analytics, CrazyEgg.com, and
| Compete.com, as well as email stats via
| Blue Sky Factory.
`----

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/in-defense-of-1000-true-fans-part-ii-matthew-ebel.html

Ignoring P2Pers costs music biz dear - survey

,----[ Quote ]
| A think tank survey into UK music fans
| suggests that timid major record companies,
| obsessed with "cannibalisation" and
| "substitution", have spent a decade barking
| up the wrong tree.
|
| The Demos report, sponsored by Virgin
| Media, suggests file sharers aren't the
| wreckers of civilization they're painted to
| be - but failing to convert them into
| paying punters has cost the industry dear.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/01/demos_music_survey/

P2P software throttles itself

,----[ Quote ]
| P2P SOFTWARE OUTFIT Bit Torrent is about to
| be upgraded so that it can deal with
| attempts by ISPs to throttle traffic by
| throttling itself.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1560497/p2p-software-throttles

Swedish judge to Pirate Bay admins: shut down or face fines

,----[ Quote ]
| The founders of The Pirate Bay could face
| fines in Sweden if the popular torrent
| tracker remains online. A court has banned
| them from continuing to operate the site at
| the risk of hefty daily fines. The admins,
| however, are no longer in Sweden and claim
| that they are not involved with the website
| anymore.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/10/swedish-judge-to-pirate-bay-admins-shut-down-or-face-fines.ars

Recent:

Musician Making A Living With Forty Committed True Fans

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091030/0121566726.shtml