[News] Ubuntu Still Behind Mandriva in Quality

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Still Behind Mandriva in Quality
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 01:21:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10 test drive

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu has improved since I last tried it.
| It is steadily becoming more polished and
| user friendly for non-technical users,
| though this comes at a price for those who
| are already familiar with Linux.
|
| Its installation process is emblematic of
| this. Although it's quick and very easy,
| the install sequence doesn't include some
| steps and options that enable a
| knowledgeable user to configure a Linux
| distribution right from the start. These
| include some disk partitioning options,
| setting up networking interfaces, marking
| services active or inactive, specifying
| boot loader configuration options and
| setting up security controls and
| monitoring. Adding some optional
| installation steps to let experienced users
| make such configuration adjustments would
| be an improvement, I believe.
|
| Overall, although Ubuntu appears well
| polished on the surface, it doesn't have
| the solid feel, depth of integration and
| finesse that one can discern in some other
| Linux distributions such as Mandriva, with
| which I'm more familiar. Perhaps my opinion
| might change after I get more used to
| working with Ubuntu, but for now I still
| like Mandriva better.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1560465/ubuntu-test-drive

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter: Or How To Achieve Organization Out Of Chaos

http://tycheent.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/ubuntu-weekly-newsletter-or-how-to-achieve-organization-out-of-chaos/

Mandriva with KDE 4.3 is what people should judge GNU/Linux desktop by, IMHO.

Recent:

Mandriva 2010 backgrounds contribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva will provide 10 more backgrounds to complete
| official design of your favorite distribution.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2009/09/28/mandriva-2010-backgrounds-contribution/

Mandriva Linux 2010 RC1 is now available for tests

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2009/09/19/mandriva-linux-2010-rc1-is-now-available-for-tests/