[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 Called "Impressive"

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 Called "Impressive"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 01:33:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10 in the clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| To sum up, Ubuntu 9.10 is a head turning,
| impressive Linux distribution that is built on
| the great progress that has been made by all
| of the contributors to Ubuntu, Debian (on
| which Ubuntu is based) and all of the upstream
| projects that make up Ubuntu over the last few
| years. The new design is superb, Ubuntu One
| shows a lot of promise and the new remix
| options offer exciting new computing
| experiences. There has never been a better
| time to try out Ubuntu, or to give it another
| go if you had a less than wonderful experience
| in the past.
`----

http://www.greenhughes.com/content/ubuntu-910-clouds

Get Xubuntu's Boot Splash Animation In Ubuntu Karmic!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/change-xplash-karmic-xubuntu.html

[posted from 9.10, which works brilliantly!]

Recent:

An overview of Ubuntu 9.10 variants

,----[ Quote ]
| The much-awaited Ubuntu 9.10 was released
| as scheduled last week. For the benefit of
| those readers who are new to the Linux
| world and who might be overwhelmed by the
| sheer number of available options, here is
| a brief recap of the official release line-
| up.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20091102#feature

Kubuntu 9.10 â Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| I for this review I was running on an AMD
| 1.8ghz system with 512mb ram,  NVIDIA
| Driver Version 173.14.20 (on a GeForce Fx
| 5200) so its a pretty old system.  None the
| less it flew like an off the shelf modern
| PC.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/kubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala/

Can the Karmic Koala Take on Win 7?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Karmic Koala is getting a warm
| reception among FOSS enthusiasts, but
| opinions are still strongly divided over
| whether this version of Ubuntu -- or
| indeed, any Linux desktop OS -- can win
| over mainstream computer users to any great
| extent.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Can-the-Karmic-Koala-Take-on-Win-7-68529.html?wlc=1257199773

New Ubuntu appliances from TurnKey

,----[ Quote ]
| TurnKey co-founder Liraz Siri has announced
| the availability of the 2009.10 release
| batch, which includes 40 new and updated
| appliances and support for Amazon EC2.
| TurnKey Linux is an open source project
| with the goal of developing a free virtual
| appliance library that, according to the
| developers, "features the very best server-
| oriented open source software".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/New-Ubuntu-appliances-from-TurnKey-845908.html

Preview of Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of the newest version of Ubuntu is only
| 10 days away. Many sites, including MakeTechEasier
| have covered its pending arrival and given you a
| glimpse of the Beta version. Today we are going to
| take a look at Kubuntu, the KDE-based version of
| Ubuntu.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/preview-of-kubuntu-karmic-koala/2009/10/19

A closer look at Kubuntu Karmic Koala and KDE 4.3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu Karmic Koala is still in Beta status, but
| looks very promising. To some extend it beats the
| Release Candidate of Microsoft Windows 7, especially
| in Wireless networking support.
|
| The big win of Karmic Koala are its even further
| improved speed, less resources hungriness and
| improved hardware support.
|
| I tested Microsoft Windows 7 RC1 (build 7100),
| Kubuntu GNU/Linux Karmic Koala Alpha 5 and Ubuntu
| GNU/Linux Karmic Koala Beta 1 last week and I'm
| afraid Windows 7 will (b)eat the dust.
`----

http://osgeex.blogspot.com/2009/10/closer-look-at-kubuntu-karmic-koala-and.html

5 things make Kubuntu 9.10 special