[News] Why Free Software is Important: Control, Expression

  • Subject: [News] Why Free Software is Important: Control, Expression
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 07:59:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Of cabbages and kings and Linux and things.

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to Linux, or more generally
| FOSS (Free and Open Source Software), there
| are two major factions. There is the Free
| Software faction and the Open Source
| faction. The Free faction has a different
| ultimate goal from the Open Source faction
| even though they, to the outside viewer,
| may seem the same. Not everybody subscribes
| to the mandates of one faction or the
| other. In fact some of us can emphatically
| disagree with the methods and mandates of
| the leaders.
|
| Yet even though we disagree, even though we
| may find their actions and methods
| detrimental to the FOSS movement, we still
| choose to participate in FOSS. Why is that?
| Personally, for me, it is because it gives
| me control over my computer. I have the
| freedom to decide how my computer should
| run and I have the freedom to express my
| individuality with it (yes even Borgs are
| people too :). I also do not agree to
| having to use my computer under conditions
| dictated by those who's only goal is to
| make money and control my computer through
| forced upgrades and invasive audits.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/of-cabbages-and-kings-and-linux-and-things-35163

Recent:

Life Without Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's ironic that the effects of open source software on our economy are
| largely unmeasured and may be unmeasurable, but suffice to say the effects
| are enormous. Life without open source software would not only be quite a bit
| different, but many people would also be quite a bit less wealthy. The
| business of OSS is booming and will likely continue to drive the great
| expansion of the Internet and concomitant transformation of society.
`----

http://ostatic.com/161801-blog/life-without-open-sourcess

Smoking the cloud: the technology of cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Like any new paradigm Cloud computing represents a shift. In this case, it is
| best described by the addition of a new layer  we could call a Cloud
| Operating System.
|
| At its core an operating system is really a task/process manager, a memory
| manager and an I/O manager. Similarly, a Cloud Operating System (COS) defines
| how are managed tasks/applications, how  memory/storage is organized and the
| mechanisms by which massive information flow  is handled. COS is a network
| operating system running atop of a cloud that is, an hyper network of
| computers.
`----

http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/05/google-defend-y.html

You're A Linux User/Supporter: You Just Don't Know It Yet

,----[ Quote ]
| I'D like to start by asking you a series of seemingly unrelated questions.
| Have you watched Shrek or Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone?  Have you
| flown on Continental, Virgin America or Singapore Airlines?  Do you drive a
| BMW, Fiat or Renault car?  Are you serving in the United States Army?  Have
| you ever bought anything online using Paypal?  Have you ever stayed in a
| Sheraton hotel?  Or travelled by train in Canada?
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=409

Down To Business: As IBM Reaches For Cloud, Where Next Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's alignment with Google around Linux and Internet standards should have
| its longtime rival sweating sans Yahoo.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/services/data/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207601200

The hidden world of Linux