[News] Chrome on GNU/Linux "Ridiculously Faster" Than on Mac OS X and Windows

  • Subject: [News] Chrome on GNU/Linux "Ridiculously Faster" Than on Mac OS X and Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:05:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why is Linux Chrome so fast?

,----[ Quote ]
| My three laptops have relatively comparable
| hardware and run Chrome on Windows, Mac,
| and Linux respectively.  The Linux version
| of Chrome feels ridiculously faster than
| Windows and Mac.  Do we understand why this
| is?  Can we make Windows and Mac feel that
| fast too?
|
| General observations:
|
| 1) Scroll performance is extremely good.
| Even on Gmail, I can only get the mouse to
| lead the scroll bar by a dozen pixels.  On
| Slashdot, it doesn't even look like I can
| do that.
|
| 2) Tab creation is very fast.  Maybe the
| zygote is helping here?  Can we pre-render
| the NTP on other platforms?
|
| 3) Startup time is faster than calculator.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/chromium-dev/browse_thread/thread/d86faf0eff41b998

Chrome 4.0 gets beta release

,----[ Quote ]
| More people will get a chance to try out
| bookmark synchronization with Monday's
| release of a beta version of Google Chrome
| for Windows.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-359925.html

Chrome Gains Speed, âBorrowedâ Features

,----[ Quote ]
| I know that the JavaScript engine of Opera
| is being overhauled; something there was
| not time to do before the release of
| version 10. When that is added, it will be
| interesting to see how Opera fares, as when
| looking now between Opera and Chrome, the
| major delta of performance seems firmly
| rooted in Java Script.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2009/11/03/chrome-gains-speed-borrowed-features/

Is Firefox 4 copying the Google Chrome looks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 4 is not due for release for more
| than a year but Mozilla has released a
| mockup of what it will look like.
`----

http://digitizor.com/2009/11/03/is-firefox-4-copying-the-google-chrome-looks/

Recent:

Google Begins Test Phase for Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Four months have gone by since Google announced their
| new, innovative communication solution, Wave. Last week
| was the beginning of its test phase.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Google-Begins-Test-Phase-for-Wave

Linux Google Chrome Shines

,----[ Quote ]
| The Google Chrome browser is still  available as a
| stable build only for Windows, but it turns out that you
| can get a dev build for Linux and also for Mac OSX. I've
| been curious about this browser for a while, so I tried
| out both.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/3842301/Linux-Google-Chrome-Shines

Google Chrome Artist's Themes Work With Linux Chrome (Sadly does Include the totally pointless Mariah Carey Theme!)

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm please to report that they work fine in Google
| Chrome for Linux, so be sure to take a peek at the hard
| work that's gone into them.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/artists-chrome-themes-linux.html

New Artist Themes for Google Chrome Are Super Slick

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Artist Themes are featured prominently in the
| Chrome Themes Gallery, and you just click an "Apply
| theme" button (from within Chrome) to get them going.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/new-artist-themes-for-google-chrome-are-super-slick

Google Chrome OS on Chinese netbook next month?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/sinobytes/post.htm?id=63014065&scid=rvhm_ms

,----[ Quote ]
| The first devices with the new Linux based Chrome OS from
| Google will probably hit the markets this month. This Operating
| System is mainly targeted at netbooks.
`----

http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-news/328-first-devices-with-chrome-os-this-month

Google's Chrome OS might tip up soon