[News] Bottled Water is a Monopoly, Patents As Monopolies

  • Subject: [News] Bottled Water is a Monopoly, Patents As Monopolies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:36:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Pepsi Told To Pay Over A Billion Dollars For 'Stealing' The Idea For Bottled Water

,----[ Quote ]
| First, $1.26 billion? For the "idea" of
| filtered bottled water? And for a lawsuit
| filed nearly thirty years after the alleged
| conversation? Nearly fifteen years after the
| product came to market? Yeah, that makes
| sense...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091030/0432116735.shtml

And the monopoly goes toâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm not a great fan of patents, not because
| Iâm against innovation, but because I donât
| believe the patent system (especially in the
| United States) has kept up with, or
| modernized, in a way that actually encourages
| the widest possible public benefit at the
| lowest cost in the least amount of time. In
| other words, what weâve learned from open
| source is that different types of competitive
| pressures in transparent markets can do as
| much if not more than centrally conferred
| monopolies over a given idea, implementation,
| or design.
`----

http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/10/31/and-the-monopoly-goes-to/

Recent:

U.S. Supreme Court set to hear Bilski v. Kappos

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/content/article.aspx?ArticleID=33871