[News] Ebook Revolution Powered by Linux, Barnes & Noble Sued

  • Subject: [News] Ebook Revolution Powered by Linux, Barnes & Noble Sued
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 01:29:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

E Ink taps second semi firm for Linux-ready SoCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Marvell Semiconductor announced a
| partnership with electronic paper display
| vendor E Ink, targeting joint development of
| processors for e-readers. Based on Marvell's
| new Armada SoCs (system on chips), the
| technology forms the basis of Android e-
| readers from Entourage Systems and Spring
| Designs and is also said to be available in
| turnkey platforms.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Marvell-Armada-and-E-Ink-ereader-design/?kc=rss

Barnes & Noble nobbled for 'nicking' Nook-e Reader notion

,----[ Quote ]
| Spring Design is suing Barnes & Noble for
| allegedly stealing its e-book reader
| designs.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/03/nook_and_alex/

Barnes & Noble sued over e-reader

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29042&Itemid=53

Marvell shows off e-reader partners

,----[ Quote ]
| CHIP MAKER MARVELL is planning on cashing in
| on the expected popularity of e-readers with
| some new partners.
|
| Looking at the popularity and hype over
| readers like Amazon's Kindle and the Sony
| Reader, Marvell has seen an opportunity to
| get in on a growing market.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1560807/marvell-reader-partners

Bookeen Cybook Opus e-book reader

,----[ Quote ]
| None of this stops you from downloading DRM-
| free e-books, and here the news is more
| promising with the whole Project Gutenberg
| library and other gratis online sources at
| your fingertips. The Opus has 1GB of on-
| board storage which, Bookeen says, is enough
| for 1000 books. Not enough? There's a Micro
| SD card slot in the Opus' top edge.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/04/review_e_book_reader_bookeen_cybook_opus/

Recent:

Freescale merges ARM, E-Ink for next-gen e-book hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Freescale Semiconductor has announced a
| collaboration with E-Ink that will bring e-paper
| display controllers directly to ARM-based chips.
| This move paves the way for future e-paper
| displays that have color and animation.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/10/-freescale-the-ailing-semiconductor.ars

Android Spreading Out to Netbooks, and E-Ink Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Although it is still early enough in development that it may not become a
| shipping product, Asus has confirmed that it has been developing a netbook
| based on Google's Android platform. Asus' Eee PC division lead, Samson Hu,
| told Bloomberg that engineers are working on a possible end-of-year release
| window. We've written before about Cupcake, a version of Android that is
| friendly to non-phone devices, and there have already been successful efforts
| putting Cupcake on netbooks.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/android-spreading-out-to-netbooks-and-e-ink-devices

Mobile Firefox demonstrated on Linux-powered E-Ink display

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090120-mobile-firefox-demonstrated-on-linux-powered-e-ink-display.html