[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

  • Subject: [News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:57:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Large Hadron Collider team flicks switch on Xeon grid

,----[ Quote ]
| "We found an old Irwindale from 2005 sitting in
| a corner and we checked against that too," adds
| the OpenLab CTO. "Moving up from then to now,
| running Linux - Linux is our OS of choice - we
| saw 4x performance increase from the cores, and
| as much as 6x with the use of symmetric multi-
| threading."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/04/lhc_xeon_endorsement/

Those LHC folks... working in 'mom's basement' on particle physics.

See? No real work is done on Linux. *rolls eyes*

They use KDE.

Recent:

World's biggest computing grid launched

,----[ Quote ]
| The worldâs largest computing grid is ready to tackle mankindâs biggest data
| challenge from the earthâs most powerful accelerator. Today, three weeks
| after the first particle beams were injected into the Large Hadron Collider
| (LHC), the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid combines the power of more than 140
| computer centers from 33 countries to analyze and manage more than 15 million
| gigabytes of LHC data every year.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news142258066.html

The LHC is using KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| I found some more interesting images:
|
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-3.html
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-5.html
| http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ohptoftimemeasured13sepjy2.png (from
| slashdot.org)
`----

http://blog.scopeport.org/nix/lhc-kde/

Computer viruses in space!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe they should run Mac or Linux.  Then they would have nothing to worry
| about at all, right?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/computer_viruses_in_space

NASA Uses Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| He and I walked back over behind the guy to look. I pointed out the little
| bit of the heron you could see at the bottom of the screen, and he said "yep,
| it's Hardy." Then he added, "look what else he's running." "What?" "Compiz.
| You can see the shadows on the panels."
`----

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2008/07/nasa-uses-ubuntu.html

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.
`----

http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2008/02/fedora-on-final-frontier.html

Large Hadron Collider - powered by Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The most powerful physics project in the history of the known universe - The
| $10 Billion Large Hadron Collider (LHC)- shot its first light speed beam this
| morning around its 27 km circuit. Beyond the 20 years it took to build and
| half of all the world's astrophysicists, it also takes another key ingredient
| to make LHC work -- Linux.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/09/large-hadron-collider---powere.html

VMware Fusion Helps CERN Physicists Analyze Data From Coolest Place on Earth

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, Inc., (NYSE:VMW), the global leader in virtualization solutions from
| the desktop to the datacenter, today announced physicists at CERN, the
| European Organization for Nuclear Research and the world's leading laboratory
| for particle physics, use VMware Fusion to share Linux-based computer code
| via VMware virtual machines running on Apple hardware.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080910005434&newsLang=en

Scientific Linux 5.2 Live CD Works in Persistent Mode

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Scientific-Linux-5-2-Live-CD-Works-in-Persisten-Mode-91982.shtml