[News] Many Different Linux Phones Implementations a God Thing, Argues Google

  • Subject: [News] Many Different Linux Phones Implementations a God Thing, Argues Google
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 02:14:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google: Android fragmentation not 'bad thing'

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has defended its decision to allow
| unfettered Android tweaking, saying that
| although this may fragment the Googlephone
| market, it's what's best for developers.
|
| "Everybody talks about fragmentation as a
| bad thing, but I think you need to look at
| it from the perspective of the developer,"
| Eric Chu, Google's group manager for Android
| mobile platforms, told the wireless-happy
| OpenMobileSummit in downtown San Francisco
| this afternoon. "How much work does the
| developer have to do to address the
| fragmentation? If there are a million
| devices and they're in three fragments, they
| don't care."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/05/google_on_fragmentation/

Giz Explains: Android, and How It Will Take Over the World

,----[ Quote ]
| But the first step in the Android takeover
| is necessarily the phones. Android 2.0 means
| the handsets aren't just interesting
| anymore; they're truly buyable. As Matt said
| this week:
|
|     In time, Android very well could be the
|     internet phone, hands down, in terms of
|     raw capabilities.... Android 2.0's
|     potential finally feels as enormous as
|     the iPhone's, and I get kinda tingly
|     thinking about it.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/5397215/giz-explains-android-and-how-it-will-take-over-the-world

Recent:

Fragmentation good for the user, says Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013788o-2000331761b,00.htm