[News] Free Software Shows Success of Capitalism, Makes Progress

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Shows Success of Capitalism, Makes Progress
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 02:45:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Politics

,----[ Quote ]
| âMichael Moore ignores capitalismâs
| blessingsâ is a much better article, not
| that I necessarily agree with the politics
| behind it, but simply because it wasnât
| apparently written by someone who played
| with liquid mercury throughout their
| childhood.
|
| One of the most interesting aspects of this
| article is that the author is holding up
| Open Source as a success of Capitalism and
| good-old-fashioned American gumption, which
| is quite a contrast from the usual anti-
| American / Communism brush that critics
| usually love to pull out.
|
| [...]
|
| Thatâs a long way from having to convince
| people you arenât some anti-capitalist
| communist zealot hippie that wants to
| destroy the economy with Free Software.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/11/open-source-politics/

WEEK at 25: Open Source Has Proven a Remarkably Fertile Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| One platform that began to take shape at
| that time was focused not on hardware or
| software but on licensing. Richard Stallman
| quit his job at MIT to start the GNU
| project, an effort to produce a clone of the
| Unix operating system to be distributed
| under a license that would ensure users'
| freedom to run, modify and redistribute the
| software. The open-source model has since
| driven much innovation in enterprise
| technology.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/eWEEK-at-25-Open-Source-Has-Proven-a-Remarkably-Fertile-Platform-670636/?kc=rss

Recent:

Microsoft Tax Dodge At Issue In Washington State

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Washington State facing a billion-dollar biennial
| budget deficit, the spotlight again shifts to Microsoft's
| software licensing office in Reno, Nevada. 'Although the
| majority of its software development is performed in
| Washington State, Microsoft records its estimated $18 billion
| in licensing revenue per year through a corporate office in
| Reno, Nevada where there is no licensing tax. Just by
| enforcing the state's existing tax law from 2008 onwards, we
| could reduce Washington's revenue shortfall by more than 70
| percent. Alternately, we could pursue the entire $707 million
| from Microsoft's thirteen years of tax dodging and cover most
| of the expected deficit going forward.' We have discussed
| Microsoft's creative capitalism in the past."
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/09/22/225233/Microsoft-Tax-Dodge-At-Issue-In-Washington-State

The Road to a Balanced Budget Leads to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

http://blog.reifman.org/2009/09/road-balanced-budget-leads-to-microsoft.html