[News] Internet Freedom at Enormous Risk Again

  • Subject: [News] Internet Freedom at Enormous Risk Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 03:25:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The end of US Internet freedom looms

,----[ Quote ]
| WHILE MANY HAVE WELCOMED the unfettered
| reign of the Internet service providers
| (ISPs) coming to an end in the US in favour
| of network neutrality, a team of learned
| legal minds has warned that all might not be
| as it seems.
|
| The US Federal Communications Commission
| (FCC) has decided that it will police the
| Internet to make sure that the large ISPs -
| telecom and cable companies, mostly - do not
| force a two-tiered Internet on the American
| public.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1561099/the-us-internet-freedom-looms

Law Professor Sues Over 'Above the Law' Blog Posts--Jones v. Minkin

,----[ Quote ]
| Given its history of provocative and
| occasionally aggressive blog posts, it's
| actually a little surprising that popular
| law blog Above the Law has not been sued
| before. A blogger's life is inherently
| filled with peril. We bet our houses with
| every blog post, and eventually the law of
| large numbers starts working against us. The
| risks are even greater for bloggers covering
| legal topics. By definition, we routinely
| cover people who are prepared to mix it up
| in court. As a result, it's almost
| inevitable that blawgers who keep at it long
| enough will get sued eventually.
`----

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2009/11/law_professor_s.htm

UK Law Firm Sets Up Special Team To Hunt Down Anonymous Commenters

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephanie Migot writes in to let us know
| how UK law firm Wragge & Co has decided to
| set up a special "cyber tracing" team, whose job
| it will be to scour the internet for anyone making
| negative anonymous comments about any of their clients
| and then take action.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091102/1018016768.shtml

Recent:

Interview With William Patry: Understanding How The Copyright Debate Got
Twisted

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that is no more valid a response than those who offered by
| filesharers who argue that its OK for them to do what they are doing because
| the labels screw the artists. Not only does iTunes refute the idea that
| people just want free stuff, but look at what happened in January of this
| year when Monty Python started a YouTube channel and gave away free streams
| of their stuff: their DVD sales on Amazon.com went up 23,000% (not a typo).
| Here's another example. My wife owns a cafe. She makes espresso there and the
| guy who makes it used to work at Starbucks. I obviously can get espresso for
| free there. But I don't, I drive two miles away to a Starbucks store and pay
| $2.01 for it because I like the way it tastes.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090823/1538545965.shtml

Federal Courts Sound The Alarm Against RECAP; Worried About PACER Profits

,----[ Quote ]
| We've been excited to see what would happen with the RECAP Firefox extension,
| which is being used to help free up public domain court documents that have
| been locked up behind the PACER paywall. However, there were also questions
| about how the folks who run and/or benefit from PACER would react.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090824/0452165974.shtml

Federal court using scare tactics to block sharing of public records

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://pubcit.typepad.com/clpblog/2009/08/federal-court-using-scare-tactics-to-block-sharing-of-public-records.html