[News] ARM on Sub-notebooks Comes from OLPC, Runs Games

  • Subject: [News] ARM on Sub-notebooks Comes from OLPC, Runs Games
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:02:10 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OLPC switching to ARM, plans paper thin netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| One Laptop per Child chairman Nicholas
| Negroponte told Xconomy that OLPC is
| prepping an ARM-based version 1.75 of its
| XO netbook while planning to release a
| "paper-thin" version 3.0 in 2012.
| Meanwhile, the Internet Archive is
| providing OLPC users with 1.6 million e-
| books, says the nonprofit organization.

BoomingBang: XO Laptop Role Playing Game

,----[ Quote ]
| BoomingBang, a RPG game, whose release is
| due till late OCTOBER 09. The BoomingBang
| project, started by me, Abhishek Indoria,
| initially, and a friend, was a small
| deployment. It was started in March 2009,
| when none of them (us, actually) have heard
| of OLPC. Back again, in June, 2 XO laptops
| were requested, and the project was started
| officially.

Negroponte: XO-1.75 goes ARM, XO-2 is canceled

,----[ Quote ]
| An ARM based XO-1.75 on the other hand is much
| more of an evolutionary rather than a
| revolutionary step into the future. So many
| people, especially a certain Charbax, had long
| expected OLPC to move from an x86 to an ARM
| design.

Three reasons Microsoft shouldn't port Windows to the ARM processor

,----[ Quote ]
| Without a version of Windows tailored for ARM netbooks, Linux-based platforms
| such as Google Inc.'s Android mobile operating system could thrive and turn
| the search and Web services company into "more of a competitor in the desktop
| operating system business than we ever have before," admitted Microsoft CEO
| Steve Ballmer to Wall Street last month.

OLPC Set to Dump X86 for Arm Chips in XO-2

,----[ Quote ]
| [T]he Arm chip could lead to problems for XO-2 in trying to load a full
| version of Windows, Negroponte said. As with the XO-1, OLPC wants to offer a
| dual-boot option on XO-2 where users can choose to load either Linux or a
| full Windows OS. While Arm processors can run Windows Mobile operating
| systems, they can't run a full Windows OS.

Freescale Plans Reference Design for Linux ARM Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| When will power-saving and affordable ARM netbooks become available?
| Freescale Semiconductor has ventured into an advanced standard, albeit with
| their homegrown i.MX515 chip.

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. âWhen you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,â added
| Dell senior product manager John New.

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may returnt to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.

Netbook Sales Soar in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Adoption of non-Windows operating systems, Linux mainly, is stronger there
| than the United States.

Future of Linux desktop: co-Linux on Android

,----[ Quote ]