[News] In Defence of Free Software Hackers

Jim Hall: Transitions in an open source software project

,----[ Quote ]
| And that was it. I missed being involved in
| the project, but I wasn't concerned about its
| future; I had handed over the keys to others,
| and built up an active community of user-
| developers.
|
| They say the final responsibility of an open
| source software maintainer is to hand off the
| project to someone else. It's a hard step,
| that final transition. But it's important for
| the project to survive on its own. And more
| importantly, it's possible.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/collectiveimagination/2009/11/jim_hall_transitions_in_an_ope.php?utm_source=networkbanner&utm_medium=link

JOURNAL: Are Hackers Essential to Resilience?

,----[ Quote ]
| In almost every resilience scenario I can
| imagine, there seems to be an intense need for
| people that can fix, repurpose, replicate, or
| build from scratch machines, systems, and
| tools.  Essentially, hackers.  They are needed
| in roles from maintenance of existing social
| activity to externally focused trade to local
| defense/offense.  The implication is that if
| you don't have people in your community,
| group, gang, or tribe that can do this, you
| only have two options:   either a bare bones
| existence (hardscrabble) or a predatory one.
`----

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2009/11/journal-are-hackers-essential-to-resilience.html

Recent:

EFF Warns Texas Instruments to Stop Harassing Calculator Hobbyists

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2009/10/13