[News] CLI-only Functional Desktop Possible in GNU/Linu

  • Subject: [News] CLI-only Functional Desktop Possible in GNU/Linu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 23:10:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The price you pay

,----[ Quote ]
| I advocate ultralight environments whenever
| possible, even going so far as to suggest
| dumping the entire X underbelly in favor of
| console âdesktopsâ that use the framebuffer.
| Itâs not for everybody â even most of my
| coworkers and associates consider it a little
| extreme â but the best reason for doing this is
| easily illustrated.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/the-price-you-pay/

My desktop backup solution

http://www.piware.de/2009/11/my-desktop-backup-solution/

Recent:

Repair Damaged Drives With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When youâre used to the world of Windows or OS X, Linux can seem a little
| unforgiving. Not only does command-line access hand over the complete keys to
| the manor to any unwitting user with access to the administratorâs account,
| thereâs rarely a safety net should things go wrong. Despite advances in most
| Linux desktops (where the ubiquitous Trashcan safely buffers deleted files),
| you get no such protection from most system-specific configuration,
| installation and maintenance tools. And while itâs rare for anything to go
| wrong without your direct input, some accidents do happen, especially if you
| enjoy tinkering with the latest distro release each month. But this being
| Linux, thereâs plenty you can do to dig yourself out of a hole, which is why
| itâs always a good idea to have a repair-worthy distribution close to hand
| when performing configuration and installation tasks.
`----

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/node/3108/

10 things you can do faster with the command line then with the GUI

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://relst.nl/x2/node/214