[News] [Rival] Microsoft Goes to Patent Trollville to Cope with Lawsuits

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Goes to Patent Trollville to Cope with Lawsuits
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:17:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Court Transfers Part of Patent Case Involving Microsoft to Texas

,----[ Quote ]
| A Delaware federal judge's transfer of part
| of a patent infringement case involving
| software giant Microsoft Corp. to the Eastern
| District of Texas is the latest example of
| the federal courts' shifting approach to
| patent litigation venue battles. The decision
| is also notable in that the Eastern District
| of Texas, known as a plaintiff-friendly
| venue, has itself recently started to
| transfer cases to other venues in compliance
| with recent federal appellate decisions.
|
| [...]
|
| QuinStreet dragged Microsoft into the case in
| January 2008 with a third-party complaint
| asking the court to rule that Microsoft
| should reimburse QuinStreet for any damages
| awarded to Parallel Networks. QuinStreet
| alleges that if it is infringing Parallel
| Networks' patents, that is due to
| QuinStreet's use of Microsoft's Web server
| software for Web page generation.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202435252498&Court_Transfers_Part_of_Patent_Case_Involving_Microsoft_to_Texas

Software cos. eye key patent case in Supreme Court

,----[ Quote ]
| "Technology companies care about this case
| because it will define what you can and
| cannot get a patent on," said Emery Simon,
| counselor to the Business Software Alliance,
| which represents large technology companies
| including Microsoft Corp. and Intel Corp.
| "The scope of patentability could have
| ramifications for the path that technology
| takes."
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gA7lvjgIZulp5DlsRc_r8xL4gRDAD9BQQ8QG0

Recent:

Red Hat files brief in Supreme Court patent case

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat is adding its say to the Bilski patent case,
| filing a brief with the U.S. Supreme Court emphasizing
| practical problems with software patents.
|
| Red Hat argues that the patent system is supposed to
| foster innovation, but in software it does the
| opposite, slowing and discouraging innovation. Software
| products may involve thousands of patentable
| components, leaving developers to risk defending costly
| patent infringement claims.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/red-hat-files-brief-in-supreme-court-patent-case-176

Red Hat Files its Bilski Brief: Asks Supreme Ct. to Exclude Software From Patentability - Updated, text

,----[ Quote ]
| They stand alone alone so far among vendors, willing to
| stand up and express what the FOSS community would
| really say if it could speak with one voice to the
| Supreme Court. This is certainly what *I* would say if
| I had that chance. And so I am satisfied. I was going
| down the depressing list of briefs filed for Petitioner
| on the ABA's list of filed amicus briefs, and it was so
| frustrating to see no one saying anything like what I
| believe to be technically true about software patents
| or addressing the specific needs of Free and Open
| Source software. At last someone has told them what we
| wanted to say. I just hope the Supreme Court has some
| techies in the clerk pool!

Red Hat comes out swinging against software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| What do Microsoft, Red Hat, and Canonical all have in
| common? They all dislike software patents. Don't get me
| wrong. Many companies that are anti-patent also hold
| and use patents against their enemies. Microsoft is one
| of those. But, if you get an in-house corporate IP
| (intellectual property) lawyer from any company in a
| bar, he or she will tell you that software patents are
| awful. So, I'm pleased to report that Red Hat, has
| filed an amicus curiae brief with SCOTUS (Supreme Court
| of the United States) asking the Court to adopt the
| Bilski case ruling and explictly extend it so that
| software can't be patented.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14840/red_hat_comes_out_swinging_against_software_patents

Red Hat files Software Patent Brief