[News] GPL Licensing Violations Claimed Common

  • Subject: [News] GPL Licensing Violations Claimed Common
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:30:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SFLC tech director finds one new GPL violator every day

,----[ Quote ]
| Bradley Kuhn, the technical director of
| the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC),
| has published a helpful set of guidelines
| about the most productive way to respond
| to a suspected violation of GNU's General
| Public License (GPL). The guidelines
| caution against jumping to conclusions and
| encourages free software enthusiasts to
| give violators the benefit of the doubt.
| GPL violations are extremely common, he
| says, but most of them are accidental.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/11/sflc-tech-director-finds-one-new-gpl-violator-every-day.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Riddle me this license, riddle me that.

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest difference between open source
| software and proprietary software, apart
| from being able to see the code, are the
| licenses governing their usage.
| Proprietary software licenses are pretty
| much standard. They all say basically the
| same thing. Which is that the software is
| ours, it is only on loan to you and if you
| try anything else we will own your soul.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/riddle-me-this-license-riddle-me-that-35264

Recent:

Versant Upgrades Open Source License -- Adopts GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS231709+04-Nov-2009+GNW20091104