[News] "Astounded" by Desktop GNU/Linux After Windows Failure

  • Subject: [News] "Astounded" by Desktop GNU/Linux After Windows Failure
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:49:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Are You Getting Sick Of Microsoft Windows?  Itâs Time To Give Ubuntu Linux A Whirl

,----[ Quote ]
| About 18 months ago, I had another
| disastrous crash on my PC that caused me to
| lose a host of photos, music and documents.
| Luckily I had a backup of most of my
| documents on an external disk. So I wasnât
| too concerned by this. I had experienced
| many crashes on Windows before and usually
| I was able to recover most of my documents
| and restore the system back to normal
| without too much effort.
|
| This time was different however and to my
| horror, I discovered that Windows had
| somehow corrupted my external disk as well.
| I had lost everything and was pretty angry
| about it.
|
| I tried a number of data recovery programs
| but most of the files wore gone. Forever.
| What a disaster! At that point I decided
| that I would look for another alternative
| to windows and I thought I would give Linux
| another try.
|
| [...]
|
| I was astounded!
|
| Within 10 minutes my computer was running
| Ubuntu Linux without even having to install
| it! This was a âLive-CDâ and it can be used
| without installing to hard disk â it can be
| run from a cd without affecting your
| computer at all.
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2009/11/09/are-you-getting-sick-of-microsoft-windows-its-time-to-give-ubuntu-linux-a-whirl/

Good Karma

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing Ubuntu 9.10 from the CD took me
| about 40 minutes on a desktop PC. Unlike
| the previous release (Jaunty Jackalope),
| Karmic didnât keep me waiting interminably
| for an online update. A âskipâ button
| enables you to bypass some processes that
| access the Internet to speed up
| installation.
|
| Boot time was a slight improvement over my
| previous Jaunty setup, taking about 40
| seconds to get to the log-on screen. On the
| initial boot, the audio volume was set all
| the way down to zero, making me think for a
| moment that I had lost sound. Pushing the
| volume slider up confirmed this was not so.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideBusop.htm?f=2009/november/10/chinwong.isx&d=/2009/november/10

How to avoid getting inadvertedly sandwiched

,----[ Quote ]
| People do not necessarily behave honestly
| because they want to, but because their
| environment is keeping them honest. In
| order to keep the hardware vendors honest,
| it is necessary to implement anti-sandwich
| measures.
|
| Otherwise, the temptation will remain, to
| quickly boost quarterly revenues by
| triggering secret deals with the OS vendor
| which will paper-weight your investments.
|
| Murphy's law is adamant in that respect: If
| the hardware vendor can sandwich you, he
| eventually will.
|
| For the purpose of keeping hardware vendors
| honest, it would be a good thing if the
| linux community maintained an anti-sandwich
| list of all hardware devices that are red-
| flagged as sandwiching tools, so that
| Windows users can protect themselves.
`----

http://sankuru.biz/en/blog/8-joomla-configuration-issues/59-how-to-avoid-getting-inadvertedly-sandwiched-.html