[News] MAFIAA Should Learn from FSF/SFLC How to Behave -- Claim

  • Subject: [News] MAFIAA Should Learn from FSF/SFLC How to Behave -- Claim
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:50:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Compare And Contrast: How GPL Enforces Violations vs. How RIAA/MPAA/BSA Enforce Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Nick Coghlan writes in to point to an
| article that highlights how different they
| are in many cases, with Bradley Kuhn, the
| technical director of the Software Freedom
| Law Center (SFLC), putting forth new
| guidelines that encourage people not to
| jump to conclusions when they see potential
| violations, and to give the benefit of the
| doubt to anyone they suspect of violating
| the license. Compare that to the tens of
| thousands of threat letters sent out by the
| RIAA, at times with little real evidence.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091110/0744386876.shtml

ISPs focus of piracy talks

,----[ Quote ]
| THE internet industry has warned that a
| secretive trade agreement currently being
| negotiated could lead to new criminal
| charges as part of a global effort to
| protect copyright and thwart piracy.
|
| Australia is among more than a dozen
| countries that for more than two years have
| been formulating the Anti-Counterfeiting
| Trade Agreement (ACTA), which seeks to put
| pressure on internet service providers to
| take greater responsibility for copyright
| breaches.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/national/isps-focus-of-piracy-talks-20091109-i5du.html

Your Message to Mandelson

http://threestrikes.openrightsgroup.org/

UK.gov denies innocent will be hit by filesharing regime

,----[ Quote ]
| Forthcoming laws to reduce the level of
| peer-to-peer copyright infringement with
| threats of disconnection will affect
| "hardly anybody, other than the most
| serious and egregious recidivistic
| offenders", according to culture minister
| Sion Simon.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/10/simon_filesharing/

Targeted Copyright Enforcement: Deterring Many Users with a Few Lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not claiming that this trick will
| definitely work. Indeed, it would be silly
| to claim that it could drive online
| infringement to zero. But there's a chance
| that it would deter more infringers, for
| longer, than the usual approach of
| seemingly random lawsuits has managed to
| do.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/targeted-copyright-enforcement-deterring-many-users-few-lawsuits

Recent:

What To Do When Artists Who Otherwise 'Get It' Freak Out Over 'Piracy'

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091007/1404196452.shtml