[News] Old and New Games Made Available for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Old and New Games Made Available for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:33:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How to Play Classic Console Games in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre reading this, thereâs a good
| chance you grew up with classic video game
| consoles like the NES and Sega Genesis. For
| years Windows users have been enjoying high
| quality game emulation software, but many
| of the Linux options have been buggy or
| incomplete. Itâs time to take a look at
| where things stand when it comes to playing
| console games in Linux. Here at
| MakeTechEasier, weâve touched on console
| game emulation here and there, but never
| done a guide covering multiple systems.
| Today, weâll show you how to run games for
| NES, SNES, Genesis, original Playstation,
| and Dreamcast.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/play-classic-console-games-in-linux/2009/11/13?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MakeTechEasier+(Make+Tech+Easier)&utm_content=Google+Reader

FreeOrion Is A Science Fiction Strategy Game For Windows, Linux And Mac OSX (Free, Open Source)

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/freeorion-is-science-fiction-strategy.html

Interactive Ideas boosts gaming offering

,----[ Quote ]
| There's something to be said for having a
| diverse product portfolio. As we heard
| earlier in the year, North London
| distributor Interactive Ideas has been
| doing very nicely on the back of its strong
| Linux for enterprise offering. But at this
| time of year, its peripherals business
| comes to the fore.
`----

http://www.enterpriseirregulars.com/3495/linux-and-the-enterprise-cloud-a-canonical-gig/

Icculus on Aquaria

,----[ Quote ]
| Ryan âicculusâ Gordon updated his .plan
| file this week with an update on the
| Aquaria port:
|
|     This is almost done, but Iâm crunching
|     on something very important. Hopefully
|     Iâll start passing some Linux builds to
|     Bit-Blot for testing in ~2 weeks when
|     this other project is off my shoulders.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14371

Recent:

Widelands (RTS Game): An Open Source Settlers I & II Remake

,----[ Quote ]
| Widelands is an open source (works on
| Windows, Linux and Mac OSX) real-time
| strategy game, built upon the SDL and other
| open source libraries. If you knew Settlers
| I & II (Â Bluebyte), then you already have a
| rough idea what Widelands is all about
| because Widelands is heavily inspired by
| those two games.
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/11/widelands-rts-game-open-source-settlers.html

Egoboo is a fun 3D Rogue-like game for Windows, Mac, and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Egoboo is a (90 megabyte!!) 3D Rogue-like
| game. Rogue is a very, very old game -- the
| original adventure game, really -- and
| Egoboo builds on its legacy, throws in a
| little hack-and-slash... and it's even a bit
| of a RPG! There is loot, there are gribbly
| monsters that are out to eat your face, and
| there are plenty of pretty zones to explore
| (plus there's a map editor!)
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/11/04/egoboo-is-a-fun-3d-rogue-like-game-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

Linux users: frag your online enemies without installing an application!

,----[ Quote ]
| This afternoon after I got home from work, I
| fragged my online enemies! What makes this
| remarkable is that I use Ubuntu Linux, and as
| everyone know gaming doesn't work on Linux
| (tongue-in-cheek comment there). What is even more
| amazing is that I didn't install an application to
| do this.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28357/1162/

Quake Live

,----[ Quote ]
| Also, Quake Live is surprisingly 100% more fun than Farcry 2. Sad
| but true.
`----

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2009/09/29/quake-live/

Quake Live - Redefining the online gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Quake Live is great fun. It's a tremendous invention, game
| quality and graphics notwithstanding. What more, it looks
| well, it plays well. You get reasonable graphics, lots of
| fast-paced killing action, for free, inside your browser, on
| any operating system. It's a dream come true!
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/quake-live.html

Shadowgrounds Survivor from Igios is now GOLD !

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2596