[News] Copyright Police Does Mad Things Again, Tactic Backfires

  • Subject: [News] Copyright Police Does Mad Things Again, Tactic Backfires
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 03:03:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A short telephone jingle leads to a lawsuit tangle

,----[ Quote ]
| What started out as a sweet little ditty to
| promote tourism in Lake County, Ind., has
| turned into a long, bitter copyright battle
| â one that has piled up thousands of
| dollars in lawyersâ fees and inundated the
| courts, leaving one frazzled federal judge
| to quote rapper DMX: âYâall gonna make me
| lose my mind. â Yâall gonna make me lose my
| cool!â
`----

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/aug/30/local/chi-indiana-jingle-30-aug30

Verizon tests sending RIAA copyright notices

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers of Verizon Communications who
| pirate music files may soon receive an
| unwelcome letter from the company.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10396787-93.html

Police can keep seized property pending private prosecution

,----[ Quote ]
| The police could retain property they
| seized after the Crown Prosecution Service
| decided not to prosecute but a private
| prosecution was being contemplated or
| taking place.
|
| The Court of Appeal so stated when allowing
| the appeal of the defendants, the Chief
| Constable of Northumbria and the Federation
| against Copyright Theft, from a decision on
| a preliminary issue made by Mrs Justice
| Sharp ([2009] 2 Cr App R 365) at the
| commencement of civil proceedings in which
| the claimants, Scopelight Ltd, its
| directors, Anton Benjamin Vickerman and
| Kelly-Ann Vickerman, owners of a website
| called SurfTheChannel.com, sought to
| recover property including computers,
| servers, memory sticks and mobile phones,
| seized by the police pursuant to a warrant
| in the investigation of contemplated
| criminal proceedings.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/reports/article6911108.ece

Music fee hike backfires

,----[ Quote ]
| A PUSH by Australian record companies to
| make clubs, hotels, restaurants and cafes
| pay tens of millions of dollars more in
| fees to play their music has backfired.
`----

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/music-fee-hike-backfires/1646165.aspx?storypage=0

UK Dev Survey: Piracy a Problem, But Not a Threat

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers were also asked if Digital
| Rights Management (DRM) was âan
| irrelevance, a solution or a problem.â 50%
| responded that DRM is âan irrelevance,â 30%
| called it âthe solutionâ and 20% labeled it
| âthe problem.â
`----

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/11/11/uk-dev-survey-piracy-problem-not-threat

Don't jail illegal music sharers - UN agency

,----[ Quote ]
| The heavy punishment of illegal file
| sharers on the web will be counter-
| productive in the global fight against
| Internet piracy and copyright infringement,
| the director-general of a United Nations
| agency said on Thursday.
|
| Francis Gurry of the World Intellectual
| Property Organisation (WIPO) said music
| copyright protection was "under the most
| severe stress" and the problem will likely
| spread to films as web connections speed
| up.
|
| The music industry has been hit by rampant
| Internet piracy and has so far struggled to
| persuade consumers to pay for downloaded
| music.
|
| Some 40 billion music files were illegally
| shared on the web in 2008, a piracy rate of
| 95 percent, WIPO cites industry estimates
| as showing.
`----

http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-43894120091112?sp=true

Recent:

Prevent Canada from Becoming a Copyright Police State

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/prevent-canada-from-becoming-a-copyright-police-state-090812/