[News] Embedded Market Goes with Linux

The Embedded Market Beds Down with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that this very positive assessement
| comes not from some open source fanboy (like
| me), but from a semiconductor company that
| has just plunked down $50 million on its
| bet. Against that background, there seems
| little doubt that Linux will soon become the
| de facto standard in the world of embedded
| systems.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/embedded-market-beds-down-with-linux.html

How would I cash out?

,----[ Quote ]
| After completing my education in 2000, I
| started working for Carnegie Mellon School
| of Computer Science, part of the Robotics
| Institute. There on a daily basis I would
| meet interesting people and robots big and
| small while making office calls. I noticed
| that, by and large, the operating system
| choice for a robot was Linux. Why? You can
| support a wider variety of small hardware
| that requires limited or no cooling with
| Linux. Also, you can craft a device very
| affordable without having to contact a
| company to license it. What you do with your
| hardware is your own business when you use
| the Linux kernel and free software.
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2009/11/14/how-would-i-cash-out/

Recent:

Open source hardware club ships Gumstix-based handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| An open source hacker community has launched an online store to sell
| home-made gizmos, including a GPS-equipped baseboard (pictured) for the
| Linux-ready Gumstix Verdex processor module. GizmoForYou builds custom
| gadgets according to members suggestions, and sells the open-spec devices
| online, says the group.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3887946599.html?kc=rss

Tiny SBC builds on Cortex-A8 SoC