[News] Hope Reborn for Monopoly-Free Media Standards

  • Subject: [News] Hope Reborn for Monopoly-Free Media Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 01:54:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IETF working towards royalty-free audio codec

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly one dozen developers want to
| standardise a royalty-free and non-patented
| audio codec for internet applications with
| the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
| Among them is the chief developer of the Ogg
| Speex and Ogg CELT open source audio
| formats, Jean-Marc Valin. The formation of a
| new working group was agreed at a meeting of
| the internet standards organisation in
| Hiroshima. The new working group is to
| evaluate various proposals by Valin and
| other developers and combine them into a
| standards document.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/IETF-working-towards-royalty-free-audio-codec-859394.html

Google advances multiple efforts to make the Web faster

,----[ Quote ]
| When you add up this week's top Google news,
| it paints a picture of a gargantuan, but
| immature, effort to make the Web faster.
| Google open sourced "Go" its experimental
| programming language that combines the speed
| of scripting languages with the speed and
| safety of compiled languages. It released an
| experimental replacement for HTTP known as
| "SPDY." Plus rumors are swirling that Chrome
| OS will be seen next week at last.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/11/13/urnidgns852573C4006938800025766E0006F5E1.DTL

Recent:

Xiph.Org Supporting IETF Royalty Free Codecs BoF

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://xiph.org/press/2009/ietf75-bof/