[News] Loads of Bilski Coverage: Software Patents Still at Risk in the US

  • Subject: [News] Loads of Bilski Coverage: Software Patents Still at Risk in the US
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:21:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Accountants, consumer groups push for passage of legislation to eliminate tax strategy patents

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Supreme Court prepares to hear a
| case that will determine if a way of
| thinking about a problem can be protected by
| a business methods patent, a group of
| accountants and consumer groups is hoping to
| eliminate tax strategy patents, a subset of
| the business methods class, using the
| legislative route.
`----

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2009/10/26/daily63.html

Bilski CLE Options

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, November 9, 2009, the Supreme
| Court will hear oral argument in In re
| Bilski, and two CLE providers plan to offer
| same day or next day coverage of the
| proceedings.
`----

http://www.patentdocs.org/2009/11/bilski-cle-options.html

'Bilski': Software firms eye key patent case at Supreme Court

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/blogpost/6369834/

Patentable Subject Matter After 'Bilski'

,----[ Quote ]
| The juxtaposition of Bilski and Prometheus
| demonstrates the far reaching implications
| of the question of what is patentable
| subject matter for a diverse set of
| industries.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/legaltechnology/pubArticleLT.jsp?id=1202435413110&Patentable_Subject_Matter_After_Bilski

U.S. top court to hear business method patent case

http://www.reuters.com/article/deborahCohen/idUSTRE5A545420091106

Supreme Court skeptical of patents for hedging

,----[ Quote ]
| But if the court tosses out the rule that
| business method innovations that involve a
| machine or transformation can be patented,
| what new rule should take its place? "How do
| we limit it (patentability) to something
| reasonable?" asked Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
| A decision is expected by the end of June.
|
| John Whealan, of George Washington
| University Law School, said, "Eight justices
| talked. They all seemed not to agree with
| the plaintiff's argument."
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousivMolt/idUSTRE5A857L20091109

Justices Hear Patent Case on Protecting the Abstract

,----[ Quote ]
| The justices pressed J. Michael Jakes, a
| lawyer for Mr. Bilski and Mr. Warsaw, with
| hypothetical patents that they clearly found
| ludicrous. Justice Antonin Scalia suggested
| that under Mr. Jakesâs argument, a patent
| for âsomebody who writes a book on how to
| win friends and influence peopleâ might be
| allowed, while Justice Sotomayor suggested
| âthe method of speed dating.â
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/business/10patent.html

Supreme Court Hears Bilski v. Kappos

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2009/11/supreme-court-hears-bilski-v-kappos.html?cid=6a00d8341c588553ef0120a66aa05a970b

Incoming

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer whiz Justice Stephen G. Breyer
| chimed in. "All you do is just have a set of
| instructions for saying how to set a
| computer to do it. Anyone can do that. Now,
| it's a machine."
`----

http://www.patenthawk.com/blog/2009/11/incoming.html

Lawyers Have Skewed Intuitions about Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Stewart claimed that loading software on a
| computer transforms it into a new machine by
| giving a computer âfunctionality it didnât
| have before.â This argument doesnât
| withstand close scrutiny. Obviously, itâs
| true that loading software on a computer
| gives it functionality it didnât have
| before. But this is little different than
| saying that setting my alarm clock causes it
| to perform a functionâwaking me up at a
| particular timeâthat it wouldnât have done
| otherwise. We donât say a set alarm clock is
| a different machine than an unset alarm
| clock. Itâs the same machine with different
| settings. Programming a computer is exactly
| like setting an alarm clock except that the
| computer can handle dramatically more
| complex instructions. If setting your alarm
| clock doesnât create a new machine, then
| neither does installing Microsoft Word on
| your computer.
`----

http://timothyblee.com/?p=1646

Can You Patent a Cat and a Laser Pointer?

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2007 alone, the Patent Office received
| over 10,000 applications for business-method
| patents. The current backlog is over 600,000
| applications.
`----

http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/judgments/2009/11/09/can-you-patent-cat-and-laser-pointer

Court Is Cool to Patents on Methods

,----[ Quote ]
| Justice Antonin Scalia said patents are
| given to inventions that are manufactured or
| produced by workmen, "not someone who writes
| a book about how to win friends and
| influence people."
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125777966165638699.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

Trilateral Patent Offices To Launch New Work Sharing Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Patent Prosecution Highway, an
| information sharing network between certain
| patent offices, has recently had its
| potential expanded thanks to a new agreement
| between two of the âtrilateralâ IP offices,
| according to the groupâs site [pdf]. In
| addition to the EPO, the trilateral group
| includes the Japan Patent Office and the
| United States Patent and Trademark Office.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/11/13/trilateral-patent-offices-to-launch-new-work-sharing-projects/

Recent:

Keith Bergelt: The Case for Market Based Patent Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| In the wake of the financial crisis and its
| attendant repercussions across the global
| economy, the U.S. Congress stands poised to
| address the issue of patent reform. Much
| debated and long anticipated, patent reform
| legislation is back under consideration with
| the bill possibly coming up for vote, prior
| to the end of 2009. Under the stewardship of
| a set of legislators well sensitized to the
| salient issues and with the thoughtful
| counsel of David Kappos, President Obamaâs
| business savvy head of the U.S. Patent and
| Trademark Office (USPTO), the stars are
| aligning to usher in legislation that
| promises to offer significant advances in an
| arena that has been overdue for reform.
|
| [...]
|
| OIN has created a model that can be
| replicated across many industries. OIN, a
| defensive patent pool established by IBM,
| NEC, Novell, Philips, Red Hat, and Sony to
| keep the Linux Community free of patent-
| related issues and ensure freedom of action,
| launched Linux Defenders in December 2008.
| The program and associated website
| (www.linuxdefenders.org) enables the
| contribution of prior art through its
| portal. For already granted patents, Linux
| Defendersâ Post Issue Peer to Patent program
| solicits prior art that can be used to
| support requests for patent reexam. The
| third element of the Linux Defenders
| platform highlights the difference between
| patents and defensive publications and leads
| inventors through a process that allows
| inventions to be codified and made
| accessible to patent examiners as an
| effective form of prior art.
|
| [...]
|
| The foregoing dynamics underscore the need
| for legislative, regulatory and judicial
| patent reform coupled with market-led patent
| reform. Absent a joint market, industry and
| government effort that is comprehensive and
| seeks to resolve all of the challenges posed
| by todayâs patent system, the result of
| legislative reform will be suboptimal.
`----

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33656799

An Explanation of Computation Theory for Lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| If I had to describe the fairly universal
| geek reaction to the oral argument at the US
| Supreme Court on Monday in In Re Bilski, I
| would have to say it's a worry that some of
| the participants didn't seem to understand
| computers or the tech behind software very
| well.

Supremes wrestle with business method, software patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/11/supremes-wrestle-with-business-method-software-patents.ars