[News] [Rival] Microsoft Lied About Vista 7 'Security'

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lied About Vista 7 'Security'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:40:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is Microsoft Overhyping Security In Windows 7?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has been aggressively marketing
| the security improvements in Windows 7, but
| some security experts believe this strategy
| could leave the software giant open to some
| unpleasant repercussions.
`----

http://www.crn.com/security/221601336;jsessionid=1PUCNFDYQWQKVQE1GHPSKH4ATMY32JVN

Microsoft patching zero-day Windows 7 SMB hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Friday said it is working on a
| fix for a vulnerability in the Server
| Message Block file-sharing protocol in
| Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 Release 2
| that could be used to remotely crash a
| computer.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10397759-83.html

Microsoft acknowledges Windows 7 security threat

http://www.examiner.com/x-5258-Detroit-Technology-Examiner~y2009m11d12-Microsoft-acknowledges-Windows-7-security-threat

Microsoft confirms first Windows 7 zero-day bug

,----[ Quote ]
| The zero-day vulnerability was first
| reported by Canadian researcher Laurent
| Gaffie last Wednesday, when he revealed the
| bug and posted proof-of-concept attack code
| to the Full Disclosure security mailing list
| and his blog. According to Gaffie,
| exploiting the flaw crashes Windows 7 and
| Server 2008 R2 systems so thoroughly that
| the only recourse is to manually power off
| the computers.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140858/Microsoft_confirms_first_Windows_7_zero_day_bug

Microsoft being a Onecare

,----[ Quote ]
| For starters, it uses an ActiveX control -
| Internet Explorer required in other words -
| that's annoyingly hard to install. You get
| warnings galore from Windows 7's UAC and IE
| about popups and do you really really really
| want to install something that has the
| potential to roger your system well and
| truly?
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha/6933

Recent:

Vista sold more PCs than Windows 7 did

,----[ Quote ]
| Another thing to remember about that Vista
| launch week is that it set a relatively low
| bar. Retail Vista sales were considerably
| below Microsoft's forecast â almost 60% lower
| than sales of Windows XP during its first week
| in 2001.
`----

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/11/06/vista-sold-more-pcs-than-windows-7-did/

5 Reasons why Ubuntu 9.10 is better than Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15035/5_reasons_why_ubuntu_9_10_is_better_than_windows_7