[News] War on the War on File Sharing Down Under, MAFIAA Member Expresses Regret

  • Subject: [News] War on the War on File Sharing Down Under, MAFIAA Member Expresses Regret
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:07:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The war on file sharing hits Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Cover the windows, stay indoors and bunker
| down â the war on file sharing has reached
| Australian shores. Copyright owners have a
| fair claim to their content, but is it
| fair to saddle internet service providers
| (ISPs) with the responsibility of policing
| their users? And just as file sharers are
| stealing copyrighted content, should
| copyright enforcers be able to steal our
| privacy?
|
| The current legal case between Australia's
| third largest ISP, iiNet, and Hollywood
| studio copyright representative,
| Australian Federation Against Copyright
| Theft (AFACT), brings these issues to the
| fore. Under the auspices of AFACT,
| Hollywood studios, including Walt Disney
| Studios, Universal Films, Paramount
| Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox,
| decided to sue iiNet late last year. The
| companies allege iiNet did nothing to help
| the studios enforce their copyright â a
| key requirement to be eligible for Safe
| Harbour provisions under the 2006 amended
| Copyright Act.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/The-war-on-file-sharing-hits-Australia/0,139023769,339299541,00.htm

Viacom's top lawyer: suing P2P users "felt like terrorism"

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Fricklas, Viacom's general
| counsel, tells a group of Yale Law
| students that he's a huge fan of fair use,
| doesn't want to take down your YouTube
| mashup, and has no plans to start suing
| P2P users in federal courtsâbut he still
| loves DRM and "three strikes" laws.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/11/viacoms-top-lawyer-suing-p2p-users-felt-like-terrorism.ars

Music: Too Expensive to Be Free, Too Free to Be Expensive

,----[ Quote ]
| MySpace, rumored to be on the verge of
| purchasing the free music streaming site
| imeem, is struggling to keep up with its
| own payments to music copyright holders,
| according to a top News Corp executive â a
| problem that has plagued every other
| licensed free music service.
|
| The digital music doubters could be right
| with the contention that advertising
| revenue canât cover the costs of licensing
| music. Meanwhile, illegitimate free music
| sources continue to proliferate, rendering
| paid music subscriptions irrelevant for
| most music fans.
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/11/music-too-expensive-to-be-free-too-free-to-be-expensive/

Modernist poetry and copyright maximalism

,----[ Quote ]
| Paul Zukofsky, heir to poet Louis Zukofsky
| and his copyrights, thinks he gets to
| decide what âfair useâ is â and it doesnât
| include quoting his father, even for an
| academic dissertation, without Paulâs
| permission and, in many cases, a fee. He
| says he generally waives the fee for
| dissertations, but you are then forbidden
| to publish the dissertation.
`----

http://crcb.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/modernist-poetry-and-copyright-maximalism/

Welcome to a world of illegal thought and expression.

Recent:

Viacom thinks it has found a smoking gun

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557661/viacom-smoking-gun