[News] Patents Look Like a 'Pyramid Scheme' by Lawyers, for Lawyers

  • Subject: [News] Patents Look Like a 'Pyramid Scheme' by Lawyers, for Lawyers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:22:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Australian Patent Lawyers Claim Patenting Genes Is Necessary For Biomedical Research

,----[ Quote ]
| This is, of course, ridiculous. First of
| all, much of the research on these things
| is often done via government and
| university funding -- and it's often done
| for reasons other than locking up a
| monopoly on the technique. Reasons such as
| helping people live better lives (*gasp*
| -- what a concept!). Or, more to the
| point, it's done so that firms can sell an
| actual product. If they have to compete in
| the marketplace, that's a good thing, as
| it pushes them to be more efficient and
| offer a better overall service, rather
| than just jacking up prices. And how do
| they offer a better overall service? Oh
| yeah, often by continuing to do more
| research and creating new breakthroughs.
|
| These sorts of claims of industries
| collapsing are moral panics and folk
| devils put forth by patent attorneys who
| are really afraid that it's going to hurt
| their own business.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091105/1133206816.shtml

Jackpot: Lawyers earn fees from law they wrote

,----[ Quote ]
| Every lawsuit filed or even threatened
| under a California law aimed at electing
| more minorities to local offices â and all
| of the roughly $4.3 million from
| settlements so far â can be traced to just
| two people: a pair of attorneys who worked
| together writing the statute, The
| Associated Press has found.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j2SDH3__-E0qPHGFgh9lzNjL5AzQD9C037A83

Lawyers Write Law, And Then Are The Only Ones To Make Millions Directly Off Of It

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091116/0811056949.shtml

Recent:

The Cultural Gulf Between Lawyers And Technologists On Patent Law

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090114/0831213405.shtml