Re: Fedora 12 makes installing applications *too* easy

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Wednesday 18 Nov 2009 23:31 : \____

> Tim Smith pulled this Usenet boner:
>>
>> <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-November/msg00926.html>
>>
>>> <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-November/msg00926.html>
>
> Weird:

> Say what!?
>
> And what is this attachment with the report?  asdf.zip
> It contains a file, meep.txt,  With 6 bytes.  "Meep!\n"
>
> And the reporter?
>
>    Reported:   2009-11-10 06:05 EDT by Need Real Name
>
> Something is rotten in Denmakr.
>
> And, of course, Tim is pulling what he accuses Roy of pulling:  Misleading
> subjects.  First, it is Red Hat, if you want to be strict about it.  Second,
> the origin of the problem is in PackageKit (Freedesktop), not Fedora.  For
> shame, Timothy Eldritch Smith! You hypocrite!

The trolls can nitpick and find one among many subjects. These are never intended to
mislead, just be posed as advocacy (positive messages).

> And here is this comment:
>
>   PackageKit allows you to install signed content from signed repositories
>   without a password by default. It only asks you to authenticate if
>   anything is unsigned or the signatures are wrong.
>
> There's a lot more meat in that link, and I for sure don't like that
> packagekit policy, though, as one user points out, it isn't so bad on a
> single-user system.
>
> Here's the packagekit site:
>
>    http://www.packagekit.org/pk-intro.html
>
> And Fedora's note:
>
>    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=141430
>
>    PackageKit is a D-Bus abstraction layer that allows the session user to
>    manage packages in a secure way using a cross-distro, cross-architecture
>    API.
>
> Hmmm, better see if it is on my Acer laptop.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific