[News] Kubuntu and Ubuntu 9.10: Reviews and Tips

  • Subject: [News] Kubuntu and Ubuntu 9.10: Reviews and Tips
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 03:01:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Perfect Desktop - Kubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| This tutorial shows how you can set up a
| Kubuntu 9.10 desktop that is a full-fledged
| replacement for a Windows desktop, i.e.
| that has all the software that people need
| to do the things they do on their Windows
| desktops. The advantages are clear: you get
| a secure system without DRM restrictions
| that works even on old hardware, and the
| best thing is: all software comes free of
| charge. Kubuntu 9.10 is derived from Ubuntu
| 9.10 and uses the KDE desktop instead of
| the GNOME desktop.
`----

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-kubuntu-9.10

Good karma: an in-depth review of Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10, codenamed Karmic Koala, was
| officially released last month. In this
| comprehensive review, Ars takes you under
| the surface for an in-depth look at the new
| features and major architectural changes.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/11/good-karma-ars-reviews-ubuntu-910.ars

20 Essential Tips Every Ubuntu User Should Know

,----[ Quote ]
| So you've read our Complete Beginner's
| Guide to Linux and have decided to adopt an
| open-source operating system--
| congratulations! But diving right into a
| new OS is daunting, even if it is as
| polished and stable as Ubuntu. That's OK
| though, because we're here to help. We've
| compiled a list of the 20 most important
| skills that every Ubuntu user should have.
| These tips, ranging from basic GUI
| manipulation to advanced system recovery,
| are essential to your Windows-free
| computing experience.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/20_essential_tips_every_ubuntu_user_should_know

Why Ubuntu release schedules should be changed

,----[ Quote ]
| While this pace of development has given
| Ubuntu a goodly portion of the small number
| of GNU/Linux desktops worldwide, and also
| had an effect on many other distributions
| in that they have tended to release more
| often in order to compete with Ubuntu,
| there are indications that it is better for
| Canonical, the parent company of Ubuntu, to
| rethink its strategy.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29430/1090/1/0/

Fewer Games To Be Included In Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest factor in choosing (or not
| choosing) games is based on their size. An
| Ubuntu LiveCD has to fit on a 700mb CD and
| room is at a premium.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/5-games-in-lucid.html

7 cool applications to improve your Karmic Koala experience.

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are using Ubuntu, you probably know
| there is some 2000+ applications you can
| install on your system. Obviously you would
| not need to install all of those to get the
| best out of your system, the following 7
| applications will help give you more from
| your setup in case  you have not installed
| them already. Some of them are available in
| the revised software management hub called
| the Ubuntu Software Center.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2009/11/7-cool-applications-to-improve-your.html

PulseAudio Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10) has come out
| now, and Iâm still getting 70 hits a week
| on my original article concerning
| PulseAudio.  The situation has changed
| radically, and so that people will get
| correct information concerning it, I felt
| it necessary to revise my previous findings.
`----

http://tycheent.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/pulseaudio-revisited/

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala better than ever

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://distrolove.blogspot.com/2009/11/ubuntu-910-karmic-koala-better-than.html