[News] Old Computers Gets the GNU/Linux Treatment

  • Subject: [News] Old Computers Gets the GNU/Linux Treatment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:29:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Computers get second life at BBA hardware lab

,----[ Quote ]
| The software is designed to be easily added
| to by developers from anywhere. In addition
| to the fact that Linux software is
| adaptable, efficient and unencumbered by
| the multiple lines of computer code
| characteristic of the better known
| Microsoft programs, it is also free.
|
| [...]
|
| "People who write viruses won't write in
| Linux because it's not a challenge - it's
| too easy," he said.
`----

http://www.manchesterjournal.com/ci_13824363

Computer Institute under $5000

,----[ Quote ]
| I assembled 4 computers with a help of my
| trusted friend. I installed Ubuntu in it.
| This roughly cost me around $2500 (Rs 1
| lakh plus). Then the other expenses cost me
| the other half ($2500). I was lucky that my
| garage did turn out to be a excellent place
| for my new business. Without free software
| this task would have been impossible.
|
| All who learn computers in my garage really
| do like GNU/Linux. I havenât heard a single
| complaint from them that its tough and not
| Windowish. Unlike windows, programs are
| arranged neatly in menus like Accessories,
| Internet etc. I find students learn very
| easily.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/community_posts/computer_institute_under_5000

Recent:

Free Geek: Donate Old Computers, Volunteer for a Free Computer

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://minneapolis.about.com/b/2009/09/23/free-geek-donate-old-computers-volunteer-for-a-free-computer.htm