[News] A Look at Linux 2.6.32 Storage, New Kernel Developments

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Linux 2.6.32 Storage, New Kernel Developments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 02:16:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.32 (Part 3) - Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| The kernel development team have enhanced
| various aspects of Btrfs, one effect of
| which is to significantly improve the
| experimental file system's write
| performance. A number of changes to the
| block layer promise better data throughputs
| and reactivity. There are also several new
| drivers for storage hardware.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Kernel-Log-Coming-in-2-6-32-Part-3-Storage-864376.html

A Northwest Nobel option?

,----[ Quote ]
| That list of Linux-related or -inspired
| developments is only partial. Here in the
| Northwest, for example, we could add the
| Free Geek operations in Portland, which do
| a lot of good for not only the low-income
| people and non-profit groups they are
| specifically aimed to help, but also almost
| everyone who comes into contact with them.
| The effects though have been world-wide,
| and are accelerating. And could grow faster
| with a little more attention.
`----

http://www.ridenbaugh.com/index.php/2009/11/18/a-northwest-nobel-option/

libvdpau, libva Both Updated Today

,----[ Quote ]
| In hopes of pushing VDPAU beyond just being
| a NVIDIA Unix driver technology and to make
| it an open standard for Linux video driver
| developers wishing to provide HD video
| acceleration on Linux via the GPU, NVIDIA
| released a standalone VDPAU library back in
| September and have been trying to push some
| VDPAU bits for DRI2.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcyNQ

[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.7.1.902

,----[ Quote ]
| As with RC1, there's nothing overly
| exciting about this release, just a bunch
| of fixes all over, with XQuartz having a
| largest batch of changes. 1.7.2 is
| scheduled for next friday, so please only
| nominate crucial fixes now.
`----

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-announce/2009-November/001198.html

A New Patch For Radeon DRM Power Savings

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to the open-source ATI power
| management efforts, Red Hat's Matthew
| Garrett has been working on dynamic down-
| clocking through AtomBIOS, dynamic clocks
| support was added to the ATI driver for
| R500+ GPUs to support dynamic clock-gating
| and static power management, force low
| power mode options, and various other
| techniques are being worked on to conserve
| power like frame-buffer compression,
| shutting down PLLs, LVDS re-clocking, and
| more.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcyNw

Recent: