[News] [Rival] Microsoft Office 2010 Looks Like Another Ribbon-Like Fiasco (Revenues Down Sharply)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Office 2010 Looks Like Another Ribbon-Like Fiasco (Revenues Down Sharply)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:06:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why I hate Microsoft Office 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| The fun doesn't end with Outlook. Word,
| Excel, and PowerPoint are all infected with
| what I've dubbed the Back Stage Virus. I'm
| referring, of course, to the new Back Stage
| view that pops up whenever you click the
| File tab in any of these applications.
| Instead of the drop-down menu that appears
| on all previous ribbonized applications
| (including the Windows 7 Paint and WordPad
| accessories), Office 2010 presents you with
| a dedicated, full-window pane containing a
| schizophrenic array of buttons, button
| menus, and hyperlink-like text labels.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/why-i-hate-microsoft-office-2010-586

Microsoft Office 2010: So Many Reasons to Hate It

,----[ Quote ]
| Office 2010 is clunky -- that's the first
| word that comes to mind as I meander around
| the recently leaked official beta release
| (build 14.0.4514.1007, for those keeping
| score). The default color scheme is a
| ghastly gradient gray blur, while the new
| Outlook Scenic Ribbon toolbar is a
| disorganized mess.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/182402/microsoft_office_2010_so_many_reasons_to_hate_it.html

Microsoft misses the boat on web applications

http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/20/microsoft-misses-the-boat-on-web-applications/

Microsoft Protects its Flanks to Save It's Ass

,----[ Quote ]
| Summary
|
| * Microsoft is making a defensive alliance
| to complete its stack
| * Fortunes will be made and lost developing
| cloud offerings
| * Despite the hype Cloud Computing is a real
| long term trend
`----

http://www.glgroup.com/News/Microsoft-Protects-its-Flanks-to-Save-Its-Ass-44892.html

Recent:

Microsoft Axes Office Accounting Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft quietly announced Friday that it
| plans to kill off its Office Accounting
| products, beginning Nov. 16.
|
| "After evaluating the product over the past
| few years, we have determined that other
| Microsoft offerings, such as free templates in
| the Office system used with Excel and the
| Dynamics product, are able to meet our
| customers' needs," a Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT)
| spokesperson said in an e-mailed statement.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3846426/Microsoft+Axes+Office+Accounting+Software.htm

Microsoft Office Accounting dies on November 16, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is killing off its whole Office
| Accounting product line on November 16, 2009.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/10/microsoft-office-accounting-dies-on-november-16-2009.ars

Microsoft Discontinues Accounting Software

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181076/microsoft_discontinues_accounting_software.html

Microsoft smothers Sage and Intuit challenger

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/10/30/microsoft_closes_office_accounting/

Microsoft to drop Office Accounting product, services

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4379