[News] First Reviews of Google's Chrome OS/Chromium OS Arrive

  • Subject: [News] First Reviews of Google's Chrome OS/Chromium OS Arrive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:25:17 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Chrome OS 0.4.22.8 Screenshots

http://www.my-seo-company.com/index.php?linux&release=Chrome%20OS%200.4.22.8

A Chrome OS Video Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Fresh off the Interwebs, hereâs a Tech
| Broiler video tour of the latest build of
| Chrome OS.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11662

Chrome's mission: Making Windows obsolete

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people are already convinced that
| Google will fail with its Chrome operating
| system. Others think that Chrome can't
| possibly be a threat to Windows. Both
| groups are so, so wrong.
|
| First, for those who think that Chrome is
| simply a failure from the word "go", their
| reasoning is pathetically flawed. They
| argue that Chrome will fail because it's
| based on Linux. What century are these
| people from?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15135/chromes_mission_making_windows_obsolete

Chromium OS, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| Next up is Google's much talked about
| Chromium OS, which is the open-source
| version of Chrome OS. With build
| 999.999.32609.201950-a1 of Chromium OS we
| had a 2.6.30 kernel (2.6.30-chromeos-intel-
| menlow), X Server 1.6.3, xf86-video-intel
| 2.8.0, GCC 4.4.1, and an EXT3 file-system
| by default. Chromium OS is currently based
| upon Ubuntu 9.10, but as you can see from
| some of the version numbers, it's only
| loosely based on Karmic -- with an entirely
| different kernel, not opting to use the
| EXT4 file-system, and many other underlying
| changes. Chromium OS is also running with
| the Chrome OS window manager. From our
| initial Chromium OS testing it had ran
| surprisingly well on the Samsung NC10 in
| our hardware configuration with the only
| major bug we have to report being the
| system not rebooting properly unless
| holding down the power button.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=chromium_moblin_benchmarks&num=1

Top 5 Chrome OS myths debunked

,----[ Quote ]
| Misconceptions and misinformation have
| surrounded the Chrome OS almost since the
| day it was announced. This week's press
| conference at Google's Mountain View,
| Calif., campus helped to clear the air, but
| uncertainty about what the search giant's
| new OS has to offer still remains.
|
| The full picture of the Chrome OS will
| become clearer as time rolls on. For now,
| if you want to understand what the Chrome
| OS is, you first have to understand what it
| isn't.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141338/Top_5_Chrome_OS_myths_debunked?taxonomyId=76

Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Another fact about Chrome OS, is that it is
| a minimal system, designed for specific
| use. It is NOT a fully-fledged operating
| system with an accompanying software-suite.
| Rather, it is a GUI-system based on the
| Chromium-browser project that lets users be
| "always-logged-in" via various web-services
| (facebook, MSN, twitter, myspace, etc.) all
| in one, single UI.
|
| A great concept for those who only use
| computers for surfing, mail and the like.
`----

http://blog.pizslacker.org/2009/11/google-chrome-os.html

How Googleâs Chrome OS is pushing us to the clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week Google finally unveiled their
| much-talked-about Chrome OS, and
| subsequently worked the tech community into
| a frenzy. The operating system certainly
| lived up to Googleâs initial promises of
| being browser-centric â it is basically
| just the Chrome web browser atop a custom
| Linux kernel.
|
| [...]
|
| Ultimately, Chrome OS isnât something
| thatâs going to make people leave their
| Windows and Mac computers in droves. But it
| does have the potential to carve out a
| strong niche as the platform behind
| secondary computers (even more so than
| netbooks today), and it will lead to even
| more reliance on cloud-based services.
`----

http://royal.pingdom.com/2009/11/23/how-googles-chrome-os-is-pushing-us-to-the-clouds/

Recent:

Just Today: Download of VMware Image of Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Just-Today-Download-of-VMware-Image-of-Google-Chrome-OS